1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Himanshu, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Himanshu

Himanshu Thread Starter

My 40GB disk has 2 20GB partitions C and D. I would like to format and reinstall XP on C. D has backup of imp data.
    Can I divide C into 2 partitions during XP installation? If yes, then can I assign any alphabets to these partitions?(E and F are CDROMS and i will be installing from E)

Should OS+prog be on one partition and files on other or OS on one and programs+iles on other?

2. ramony

ramony It's My Birthday!

hi Himanshu,

yes you can divide C in 2 partitions. you have to delete the partition of C first and then create a new one, the size of which depends on how big you want it to have. for the naming of the drives, you can do that one later after the installation. you go to computer management and you'll have an option there to change the drive letters. for your last question, you can do either way. if you notice in installing applications, you have an option to change where you want it to be installed.

3. Himanshu

Himanshu Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.
    I will need some further clarification.
    Out of my total harddisk size of 40GB, 20 is for D drive which I will not be changing.
    The remaining 20 is in C and I will need to split this in 2partitions, one of say 7GB and other of 13GB, during XP installation. I then install XP on the 7 Gb installation.

4. ramony

ramony It's My Birthday!

yes, you can do that. you can then format the remaining 13 GB later in the computer management.

5. bobol

bobol

i'd add a GB or 2 more for the xp partition [ie. 10 GB is safe ]...in view of possible large updates and such in the future.

6. Himanshu

Himanshu Thread Starter

Thank you bobol and ramony for your advice.
    I have already made a 7GB partition and so I will let it remain like this for the time being.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice