1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating Recovery CD for XP and automatic Streaming

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sidcup Silver, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidcup Silver

Sidcup Silver Thread Starter

As per advice received here, I would like to create a Recovery CD including SP2 and all more recent updates received from Microsoft. However, it appears that you may not be able to do so unless you have an XP Operating System CD. Most computers come without such a creature unfortunately and neither of my systems have them.

Is it possible to create such a Recovery disk using the OS Recovery CD which came with my Compaq/HP laptop?

Or else, is it possible to copy just the SP2 plus all other Microsoft downloads without having to manually execute each and every file?

Any help would be a boon.

SS

2. jmwills

jmwills

You would need the disc that came with an OEM specific machine unless you bought another copy at retail. Most of the companies such as Dell, HP, etc will send you the disc for a handling fee of about $15.

3. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

4. Sidcup Silver

Sorry to be really dim JMWills and Jeruvy. When you say the disk which came with the OEM do you mean one or other of the two disks which came with my Presario laptop from HP. The OS Recovery disk and the Software recovery CD? I have repaired my system successfully with the OS Recovery CD so would this be applicable to use for streaming purposes? I have been to several links re the streaming and although it sounds involved, I would like to try the method.

However, if without a proper, pucker XP Installation disk I cannot go the whole hog, could I just down load the Microsoft updates and combine them with a copy of SP2 and then have the facility to stream them on to the new setup without having to sit by my system for hours!!!?

SS

5. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

Read the link I gave you. It's an excellent walk through.

I'm not going to repeat it here :)

6. Sidcup Silver

the instructions are very good. My only question is can I go through the process when I do not have a Microsoft XP CD. I only have an OS Recovery disk provided by HP. Can I use this as if it were an Original Installation disk??
    :confused:

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice