Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating Recovery Disc ISO from Recovery Partition

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mumbodog 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to create an ISO from a recovery partition? I'm looking to create a bootable flash drive to install XP on my ASUS 1005HA. (I have Windows 7 starter, but I don't want to pay the 80 bones to upgrade to the full version.) I also have an ASUS 1000HA with XP--and the corresponding recovery partition--that I'd like to use to put XP on the new netbook. Unfortunately, I don't have a USB optical drive (I'm cheap--sue me) and so I need to use the bootable flash drive.

Long story short, I know how to make the bootable flash, but I need an XP recovery ISO to load onto it to allow me to install the OS. Anybody know how I can make one from the recovery partitions?

#2 ·
Using a recovery image from one PC to install on another PC with different hardware is not going to work.

Besides it is illegal, we cannot help with that here, read the site rules.

Other Illegal Activities - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advice on using illegal software, as it will be removed.
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

#3 ·
Huh. My bad. I was under the impression that, since I essentially purchased the XP license when I bought the 1000HA, I could legally install a copy of XP onto a new computer using that license--provided I remove the original copy.

Also, according to ASUS, my Windows 7 starter license supports downgrading to XP. Maybe the customer service guy was wrong?

Moot point if I can't use the different recovery partitions, though. Could I at least create an image from my Windows 7 recovery partition? If I can't do XP, I'll just switch to Eeebuntu, but it would be nice to have a recovery disc in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

#4 ·
OEM software is tied to the hardware it was sold with for life, according to Microsoft.

Not sure if you can create an image from the recovery partition file, I don't know what Asus uses to recover their PCs, can you see the recovery partition in Windows Explorer? See any files?

Maybe a better alternative is to image the entire hard drive using this software, be sure to make the rescue media.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.