1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

creating transparent gifs .. help!!!

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by TypeSK, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok ... i had some create an image for me .... and he made it a transparent gif for me, so i could put it on any color background, etc ....

well, i also needed it resized .... so he created a bigger one, and i could easily resize it smaller to the right dimensions i needed with no problem ...

well, so far, ive been using Adobe Photoshop Elements

well, everytime i copy the transparent image, and paste it into a new image, it loses the transparency and makes the background white .... (i select the whole image, copy, click file->new and for the contents, i put "Transparent", and then paste it)

well, i found the magic eraser tool to make the background transparent by clicking on the background which makes it transparent ....

then i would save it as a gif, and click transparent ...

well, it works, somewhat ...

if you go to:

www.whiteazn.com

youll notice some pictures ... (dont look at the one in the box)

the one on the left is the same as the one in the box ... except, when its in the box, the background is white, so you cant notice anything ... but you can see that the outline of the image an the text hasnt been made transparent

the next one, is an original, and how it should look like

and the next one, on the right, is another try ... same outcome as the first one

NOW...the ones under it, is what I did, for use on the other pages (needed to be a little smaller than this one to be place on the home page) .... and you can tell as if you highlight it, youll notice two images broken up ... AND SOMEHOW, i was able to do it right....it just also happened to be my first try at this, as the ones above, are more tries with not the same results ... thing is, i dont remember doing anything different...

so what do i do to make the whole image background transparent? (like the very bottom one, and the middle one)

also, i am a N00B to image editing and adobe and all ... but i can learn easy (as i figured out how to do what i did in little time...i just lack the creativity to create this myself ... i can visualize things, but never put them on paper..you get the point) ....

thanks!!

www.whiteazn.com <--link just in case anyone missed it ...

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

TypeSK
    I am not familiar with Adobe but many times selecting new will take the default setting of a graphics editor and apply the default backgound. If you select open existing does Adobe do the same thing? If so you may want to try and work with Program Network Graphics images .png instead and then save as .gif images with transparency.

Just a thought..... others may have other ideas.

Dave

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

well, when i go to file->new, and select "transparent" for the contents (a new dialog box comes up when you click file->new and asks for dimensions, color bit depth thingy, and contents: white, background, transparent )

and at first, its transparent..as i can just draw or whatever, save, and its transparent..but as soon as i PASTE the other image into this new image, it loses it until i use the eraser tool ....

4. suzi

suzi

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice