1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating "user.js" file on Firefox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NYCityGirl, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NYCityGirl

NYCityGirl Thread Starter

Hi:

Firefox does not allow me to use the "cut, copy or paste" commands due to a security feature. According to mozilla.org I have to change the preferences in the "user. js" file in Firefox. I don't have the "user.js" file in my Firefox profile, so I have to create one.

I was able to assess my Firefox Profile Directory but was unable to create the "user. js" file?

How I do create the "user.js" file in my Firefox profile?

Thanks,

NYCityGirl

2. Sponsor

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

What "security feature" prevents you from using cut,copy,paste?
    Why do you need a user.js? All preferences can be set in the configuration file prefs.js accessed with about:config.

4. NYCityGirl

NYCityGirl Thread Starter

Hi Throoper:

I was trying to copy and paste some resume and cover letter information on a job board website specifically the "Careers in Government" website. When I try to copy and paste my resume and cover letter to my profile I got the following message:

Copy/Cut/Paste is not available in Mozilla & Firefox. Do you want more information about this issue? Ok or Cancel.

I clicked on to "Ok" and was taken to the web page below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Midas/Security_preferences

This web page instructed me to open the "user.js" file in my Firefox Profile Directory, and add user_pref lines to my "user.js" file that includes " allowclipboard" and if I didn't have the "user.js" file in my Firefox profile directory to create one.

I hope this helps answer your question.

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I stand corrected. You can't add those prefs to the normal prefs.js file and can only do it with a user.js.

So, to make a user.js, in Firefox click Help>Troubleshooting Information.
    In the Application Basics section, click the Show Folder button to open your Profile.
    Right click an empty space and select New>Text Document.
    Open the new text doc with Notepad and paste the prefs into it.
    Click File>Save to save the changes.

Rename the file from NewTextDocument.txt to user.js and theprefs should take immediate effect.

Note: You will need to have file extensions showing in order to rename with the correct extension.
    In any explorer folder (the Profile folder will do) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
    Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and click OK.

If you ever need to edit the user.js file, right click it and select Open With>Notepad.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Probably a dumb question, but why can't you use the cut, copy, paste from your toolbar or Edit menu to fill in the text fields in their editor? Are they being disabled by the site?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093199