1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Creating Website Short Cuts on Desktop

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by patmac, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    How do I create short cuts to/for websites to put on my desktop in Windows 10 using IE?
    I know in Chrome on my Win7 machine I can just drag the little icon at the far left of the URL field onto my desktop.
    Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You can do the same for IE. Alternatively, when you're on a website in IE, all you need to do is right-click on the page and then look for Create shortcut on the context menu. Left-click on that and then click OK.

4. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

Or right click on the desktop > New > Shortcut and type in the web address :)

5. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I haven't figured out lochlomonder's way to do it, although it looks like it should be as in Chrome. I've been able to do it using Couriant's method.

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

A web shortcut opens with the default browser.

7. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I'm having some difficulty figuring out this Windows 10 Browser thing.
    I went into Settings and made IE the default browser.
    When I click on the "E" on the bottom toolbar on the Desktop, Google comes up, which is what I want. But when I click the three dots in the upper right corner "..." a drop down shows up with ; new window, new in private window...blah blah...and one of the options is: Open with Internet Explorer, which is what I thought I was already doing. When I arrow over the big "E" on the bottom toolbar a thumbnail comes up showing "Google - Microsoft Edge"...??? So what am I using?
    I want IE.
    Any help will be appreciated.

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You're probably opening the Edge browser with Google as the home page.

9. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I think you are right, but I thought I've picked IE as the default browser, still lost. At this point I don't want to give in. This is for my in-law's laptop and all they need are a few website shortcuts. I'm used to the two methods I described above.....dragging the little icon to the far left of the URL box onto the Desktop, and going to a webpage, and right clicking on it to create a shortcut to it. Neither works with whatever browser I'm using. Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure under "Default Apps", I selected IE, but maybe that big blue "E" I keep clicking on on the bottom toolbar is really MS Edge..??
    Thanks....

10. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

It could be Internet Explorer or Edge. But it's not Chrome.

What browser do you want as the default?

11. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

I think collectively you got me on the right path.
    The big "E" pinned to the bottom toolbar was Edge. I unpinned that. Typed in Internet Explorer in the "Cortana" box, which brought up IE, which I then pinned to the toolbar. Then I made my ( my in law's ) shortcuts by going to the pages they use, and making shortcuts by dragging the little icon in the far left of the URL box onto the Desktop. So thanks for hanging in there with me. I appreciate your time.

12. nimd4

nimd4

So, for anyone not using (the Add-on) deskCut with teh Mozilla Firefox, you could:
    1. Alt+D to get the cursor up to the Address Bar.
    2. Copy the URL and right-click on the Desktop, select: New Shortcut
    3. Enter the info, go Next and finally Finish; Voila (!), presto!! :)
    • 01.png
    • 02.png
    • 03.png
    • 04.png
    P.S.
    Screenshots above from Microsoft Internet Explorer 11:

MSiE11.png

Edit: Whoa, ok... Sorry about that, guys!.. Apparently, I'm blind and the right-click menu holds the option to create a shortcut; Here are the screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1185030