1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creating wifi via inernet stick for cellphones

Discussion in 'Networking' started by temptemp, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. temptemp

temptemp Thread Starter

Hello,

I was wondering if I can create a wifi hotspt from a laptop with a mobile internet stick so that I can connect a smartphone to the wifi network. Said smartphone is without a sim card, so I need wifi to access the web, to use skype. The laptop has windows XP, not sure if XP has the ability to create a wifi hotspot, or if it's doable in the first place.

Is there a way to create a 24/7 wifi hotspot with an internet stick? Don't want to have the laptop running every time I want to use the phone.

Cheers!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. temptemp

temptemp Thread Starter

So I plug the internet stick into the personal wifi hotspot and voila! I have wifi?

Okay, I have the option of getting WiMax, would that be a better, easier solution?

4. edizzle

edizzle

Yes

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

WiMax is a different technology and a different service. That would provide a modem and require another service contract. WiMax is only available in a few select metro areas, so if you can get WiMax, you should be able to get standard broadband service at a much cheaper rate.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006230