1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creative drivers + Win XP sp3 = problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lankakera, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lankakera

lankakera Thread Starter

Hey,

I finally agreed to windows updater's persistant nagging about SP3 and surprise, it brought problems along.

For starters every shut down hanged CtSpkHlp and took 2~3 minutes for system to shut down (even if I'd force the CtSpkHlp off.) CtSpkHlp doesn't show in task manager when system is running - it just appears from nowhere and hangs itself when I shut the machine down.

Bit after poking around settings trying to figure how to fix that, CTHELPER appeared to running processes after each start up and kept interfering with pretty much everything (ie. Logitech's mouse configs wouldn't work, games crashing when started, earlier CtSpkHlp was part of it I guess).

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall Creative's drivers (installer hanged twice) and uncheck CTHELPER through msconfig but problems stay. With latest attempt to reinstall drivers it seemed to work better than before (installer didn't hang, yay!) but now "Creative Volume Control" doesn't let me choose mic to REC - so its still no good.. Also half of Creative's contols (EAX, EQ consoles) crashes when trying to see them. The drivers I tried to install were newest I could find from Creative's site.

So eh, what next? I would sort of need that mic option for voips. Backing up important files from OS's partition if I have to reinstall windows - which I'd prefer not to do - but is there any way to hunt down all Creative's driver files and registry entries for them, clear and reinstall? Or whatever it would be to fix issue like this. My fixing experience ends around here and next things would be either clean install for XP and leave it to SP2 forever or the sledgehammer.

-lanka

2. lankakera

lankakera Thread Starter

Another driver reinstall attempt, no difference.

This time I uninstalled everything, restarted to safe mode, removed anything Driver Cleaner could find (remembered that I had used DC earlier for some graphic drivers), restarted, installed first software pack that came with sound card, restarted, updated drivers to Creative's newest, restarted - no difference. EAX&EQ consoles crash when trying to see them, Diagnostic's tool crashes half way through, still can't choose mic as REC device (only options are "What you hear", line in and some midi things)

Any idea what else to do than reinstall everything and leave XP to SP2?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    CTHELPER:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=cthelper

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you install the Creative sound device software, only install the driver and not all the other extra garbage that comes with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice