1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

creative = lousy sound cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grendelwoof, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grendelwoof

Grendelwoof Thread Starter

I've had this sound blaster live 24 bit card for a while and I'm looking to replace it, because there's a really annoying buzzing or ringing sound whenever I turn the volume up. I hear many of the pricier creative cards have the same issues with A LOT of people (trust me, visit their forums). So I was looking for an alternative. I was thinking on going with a Turtle Beach Montego, and I was wondering if anyone else here has had experience with this card, or if there is something better for the money. I'm not a big audiophile, I just want that frickin' buzzing to stop.

2. Jones

Jones

In my experience, crappy sound from a SoundBlaster card usually is the result of cheap speakers, or interference from another source. These cards have proven to be rock-solid, which is why Creative is one of the only reputable sound card manufacturers still in existence. As for ALOT of problems you've heard about in the forums, you'll notice that any forum regarding any product ever made always has some dissatisfied customers. First, make sure all your drivers are up-to-date, and if the buzzing does persist, try swapping your speakers out for something of higher quality.

But hey, not everyone has a great experience with each of the big brands. I'm sure the Turtle Beach card would do the job if you're really turned off of Creative.

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

If I would have listened to a lot of peoples complaints about my motherboard. I would have bought a Dell. I knew they couldn't be half as bad as people made them out to be. That's free speech for ya. Troubleshoot the one you have to make sure it is indeed the problem. When you say a while, what do you mean? a couple months? a year? It's cheaper and a lot easier to troubleshoot the audio card you have right now than to go out an buy another to find the same problem maybe even more.

4. WarC

WarC

Sound cards are very susceptible to interference. EMI and dust buildup can easily affect the signal you get.

Creative soundcards have been known to have a buzzing sound, but like previous posters mentioned this can be due to several factors including the quality of the speakers and the volume levels used in Window's volume controls.

One thing that I find affects such interference is the physical placement of the card in the system. I've found that moving the soundcard to the centermost available PCI slot can help reduce the amount of interference your soundcard picks up. I figure this has to do with the card's proximity to the computer case. My Creative Audigy LS picked up significant interference while in the bottom PCI slot, which was about half an inch away from the computer tower's metal case.

Dust buildup is also a cause of interference in soundcards. Cleaning off any dust accumulation on the back of the card might help.

M-AUDIO makes excellent soundcards that are roughly on par with Creative's offerings when it comes to most things (playing music and video). M-AUDIO's soundcards are particularly well known for their clarity of sound and lack of interference. The Revolution 7.1 is a comparable card to Creative's Audigy lines.

5. GripS

GripS

Creative makes good sound cards. There is a reason why they are still around competing with the latest on-board sound solutions where others have just faded away. Your buzzing sound is not likely because of the sound card but because of some kind of interference.

For instance i could not determine why all of a sudden i would get a serious buzz from my speakers(happened at about the same time everyday). I look out the window one day as this buzzing sound is happening and i see a school bus right out front of my house dropping kids off. I also notice the driver talking on her radio. I see the button pushed(about 15 feet away from my window)...bzzzzzz. Button off and nothing. She drives off and no buzzing till the next day at the same time.

6. kronus

kronus

My friend has a strange but similar problem. If he turns on the bathroom light, his speakers buzz. I'd keep the sound blaster and look for an interference source. An easy way to check if it's your sound card or speakers would be to listen with headphones.

7. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

I've got a Soundblaster X-FI with Bose speakers and I get no popping or hiss..The X-fi has a feature that removes the hiss / pop/ buzzing..
    http://www.pixpond.com/1/3i0q43.jpg
    http://www.pixpond.com/1/3i0q4376.jpg

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice