1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

creators upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by aranvardi, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aranvardi

aranvardi Thread Starter

I have an Acer aspire e1-571 I have tried several times to load 'creators upgrade' using the upgrade assistant app: It loads to 85% and then says there is a problem. I have tried a reset, but choosing to 'keep files' or 'remove everything' I get the same 'there is a problem'. I then downloaded the 'refresh tool' from Microsoft, that ran for 45mins,and failed. Any ideas please.

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What's the exact serial number and SNID number on it?
    What's the exact Windows version you're trying to upgrade from?

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. aranvardi

aranvardi Thread Starter

Hello flavallee, Serial no: nxmo9ek017321063ae3400. snid: 32102551834. the last update was the anniversary one. version 1607.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. flavallee

According to that SNID number and its corrected serial number(the 4th character is a zero), you do have an Acer Aspire E1-571 laptop.
    According to its product details, it originally came with Windows 8 64-bit.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4098?b=1&pn=NX.M09EK.017
    Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" was released in July 2016 and is Version 1607 Build 14393
    Windows 10 "Creators Update" was released in March 2017 and is Version 1703 Build 15063

Have you tried to upgrade it through Windows 10's built-in update function instead of using the upgrade assistant app?

If you already have all your personal data(documents, photos, etc.) backed up to reliable external media, you might consider doing a "clean" install instead of an "upgrade" install.
    It's the only way that I install Windows 10, and I've never had an install issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. aranvardi

aranvardi Thread Starter

All the information you found for the Aspire is correct. I have tried to update several times, but it fails [sometimes it gets as far 9%] also I can not get it to back up on a disc or a flash drive, which I have used before. I don't understand why I can't reset the computer. I feel like it has a virus that stops me whatever I try to do. [it constantly cuts off the wi fi connection as well] I would not mind a factory reset. I have a Chromebook that I am using more and more now. I have downloaded Bitdefender that found a few dodgy files, and I have deleted them, but nothing has changed.

7. flavallee

The Windows 8 64-bit factory reset partition that came in that laptop likely no longer exists after upgrading it to Windows 10.
    That's likely why you can't factory reset it.

We have no way of knowing how you use that laptop and how well you maintain it and what's installed and running in it, so there could be several reasons why it's having issues.
    My advice is to back up your personal data(documents, photos, etc.) to reliable external media, then do a clean install of Windows 10 "Creators Update" in it and get a fresh start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Chromebooks are definitely easier. Windows updates can be sketchy. I hope everyone doesn't have to reinstall Windows to get it working. Seems pretty extreme, Frank.

9. aranvardi

aranvardi Thread Starter

I have just tried a 'creators update' direct from the Microsoft website. It updated 86% before it failed. The last successful update in the update history was on 12/04/17. I ran a check and found 'error detected on update database'. I then ran 'find and fix problem with update data base'. It then stated ' update errors now fixed'. But everything is still the same. I managed to get a system image on a blank dvd, but not a backup. Anyway thanks for your help flavallee , but I think I will use my 'Chromebook' more often. I believe Microsoft is looking at a cloud based system like the Chromebook.

10. aranvardi

aranvardi Thread Starter

Thanks TonyB25, Yes I intend to use the Chromebook more and more. I believe Windows is looking at a cloud based system similar to Chromebook.

11. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I've heard that too. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188787