1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creeping problems -files MIA- HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ozziea, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozziea

ozziea Thread Starter

I don't even know where to post this cry for help. It has to do with one of our Avid Xpress Pro systems running on a Dell PC with 4 Promax firewire external drives, but it's really about data loss and retrieval.

Here are the three problems that may or may not be related:

1. Our trusty system began giving us overwrite errors, occasional freezes, and a series of other annoying and time consuming errors. A Norton analysis of the system shows nothing out of the ordinary.

2. One of the 200GB Promax 1394 drives began to fail and make a grinding noise. This one we sent out and it turned out to be a bad drum and the data is currently being retrieved and transferred to another 200GB drive.

3. Now the real mystery - one of our three remaining 1394 drives "suddenly" vanished. It shows up in Windows XP Pro's Disk Manager as "unknown" and "unformatted." I suspect a corrupted file allocation table. I bought a data retrieval utility - "Stellar Phoenix - FAT & NTFS". The utility shows all or most of the files in the OMFI directory (Avid's default media storage directory). We've been painstakingly retrieving the files from that drive to the other two drives but still the files we need (which show up in Avid as having been digitized in that drive ("I")) are nowhere to be found. Does the XP automatically change a drive letter when a drive is removed? I ask this because it could have been that the "I" drive Avid shows is the drive we sent out and not the current "I". (I hope this makes sense.)

Now our assistant editor is, quite understandably, very reticent to digitize anything in that system until we find out what's going on.

Any ideas? We need to get it back on line ASAP.

Thank you all in advance.
    :confused:

2. rezehk

rezehk

Ozzie,

I can't speak to XP but I do use a lot of portable storage devices and a laptop, and I connect to a lot of different sized systems and so yes ! take out the P: drive and the Q: becomes P: The Solution I use to keep track of who I am and who my client is, is to name each of my drives by going to Properties and in the lable box type in a name for each of my Hard drives. Then you Have each One with a personal ID, assigned drive letters then are easly sorted out.

Rezehk

3. ozziea

ozziea Thread Starter

rezehk,

Thank you for the reply. I thought as much. I do give each of the drives a particular name and I also write the name on the outside of the drive. In this particular case, it's not of much help since the drive's name is also missing. For instance it's drive T3, the name should also be T3 but it appears as "unknown." Anyway, we are sorting through this problem one expensive step at a time and swearing off 1394 drives forever. They've proven to be nothing but problems no matter how reputable the manufacuturer. It's not the drive. It's the flimsy interface that 1394 standardized on. We have begun swithching to SATA arrays. So far they ahve proven to be very dependable.

Oz :rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!