1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Creeping system using Autodesk Revit Structure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slengineering, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slengineering

slengineering Thread Starter

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this issue.

I have a Gateway GT5082
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2Ghz, 2000Mhz system bus
    512 KB L2 cache
    3GB Ram (DDR 3200)
    nVIDIA GeForce 6100 integrated video (128MB shared, I think)
    250 GB hard drive w/ 2MB cache

have also added a 10GB old Samsung hard drive for page file allocation and external 200 GB Maxtor USB hard drive for backups and storage.

I just purchased Autodesk Revit Structure and am trying to work with it on my computer. While creating my structural models, the system seems to hang for a couple of minutes and will then perform whatever task I was executing. The Task Manager shows that with Revit running (no project open), the CPU Usage is around 50%+/-. When executing commands in Revit, the Usage is pegged at 100% for both cores. The Peak Commit Charge is around 700MB, and obviously I have way more RAM than the software requires. My question is why is the operation so slow? I am not "techy" enough to understand why the usage is maxed out, but there is ample memory.

My only thought is that the 2 GHz processor speed is not enough to run the software effectively. The specs for a system running the software call for an "Intel® Pentium® 4 processor, 2.8 GHz, or equivalent AMD® Athlon® processor". Is the 2 GHz processor speed not high enough?

If so, does anyone know if I can buy a higher version of the X2 chips and seat them in my motherboard? The motherboard is supposed to be a Foxconn C51GU01.

I am very sorry for the long post, but I want to be as specific as I can be to try to get a quick resolution to my problem. Again, thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who can shed some light on this issue.

Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice