1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Creepy sound file playing, clean malware scans

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by randomname25, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomname25

randomname25 Thread Starter

I recorded the sound with my phone's voice recorder, you can hear it here: https://clyp.it/kmcrujep . I haven't been able to catch it, but for a while there were also some creepy water sounds, like of a pond or gulping. When I mute the speakers, the audio goes silent, which according to the internet means it's probably NOT just picking up nearby radio transmissions?

I thought I got rid of this a couple weeks ago by running SpyBot (it removed some trivial-looking tracking software and the sound went away), but it's back. Rebooting does not do anything. I've now uninstalled Spybot and all other anti-virus programs other than MalwareBytes (and Windows Defender, which despite the log from SysInfo is currently disabled). I ran regular AND rootkit scans from Malware Bytes, and supposedly the computer is clean.

My cursor was stuttering intermittently last night, but other than that, there are no other symptoms. Any insights into what this could be and how to fix it?

UPDATE: I opened up the volume mixer, it was coming from listening to my computer microphone. When I unchecked "listen to this device" the sound went away. Still no idea on why it thinks it's hearing such creepy stuff, though - I turned off my bluetooth headphones and the noise still happened. So I'm not entirely assuaged.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12211 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 448 GB (238 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, EA40_HB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice