1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Critical: Data recovery from dead hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nipstech, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nipstech

nipstech Thread Starter

I have a client give me two dead hard drives that quit spinning up. He seems to think that the data is still intact, but either the controllers or the motors failed. One is a Seagate Barracuda 500 GB EIDE and the other is a Samsung 500 GB SATA drive. I was told that there was a power failure the occurred right before the drives failed. I attempted to bring the drives up here and verified that the EIDE drive loads down the power supply and the SATA drive is just dead.

My question is, where can I send these drives in order to have them repaired so I can move the data to other drives. My client owns a photography studio and these drives contain portraits for several of the local high schools, so he freaking out big time...please help!

Thanks,
    Jon

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Seagate offers data recovery services, and that is who I would use for the Seagate drive. Samsung may
    offer similar service, just check their website. If Samsung doesn't offer the service just do a Google search for Data Recovery Services.

Generally speaking, the drive manufacturer is most likely the facility that can best perform a full recovery.

3. nipstech

nipstech Thread Starter

Thank You, I'll give it a try...

4. AngryCustomer

AngryCustomer

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, and have previously had a bad experience with a certain data recovery company and have looked for many outlets to rage about my experience. I know that this sort of thing does not belong on this forum, but many people that have had experiences with data recovery companies seem to view this forum, and I am sure many people have experienced what I have experienced. Regardless I did find one website, http://www.datarecoverycomparison.com that let me rant and rave about the company that I had my data recovery experience with and also let me rate them. If anyone that sees this has had a bad experience (as I am sure I am not the only one) please visit this site (also if you have had a good one please do also as it will point others to those companies). If enough people complain about a single corrupt company we can help put it out of business.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice