Critical process died/Boot device not found when charging

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Seyrarm

I have a HP Spectre x360 Laptop

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190729235458.000000-180
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 466 GB (267 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8197, ver 33.61, s/n PFUAK028J510QD
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 5CD6457M39

This error appears only when my laptop is plugged in (charging). After a short time, the blue screen Critical process died appears, followed by the laptop restarting. After it restarts, the laptop is unable to start normally as a black screen appears with the error "Boot device not found". Below that appears "Please install an operating system on your hard drive" and "Hard disk - (3F0)". System diagnostics does not help at all. I can turn off the laptop and charge the battery with it turned off without any problems, but whenever I use it while it is charging I get this error. Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it? The computer is about 2 years old, and I use the original charger. I was told this is a problem in my hard disk and the only way I could fix it is by replacing it, but I wanted to know if there are any other options.

"Boot device not found" is indication that hard drive is failing. Hard drives are mechanical spinning machines + electronics, they fail unpredictably.

managed

Allan
I suspect the battery, to test this try charging the battery to 100% then see if you get the same problem.
Also try running from just the fully charged battery and time how long it lasts before the laptop turns off.

Seyrarm

I suspect the battery, to test this try charging the battery to 100% then see if you get the same problem.
Also try running from just the fully charged battery and time how long it lasts before the laptop turns off.
I really thought that I tried this before, but I guess not! I turned my laptop off and charged for a long time. Even though it was still connected to the charger, it turned on with no problems. I've been using it for more than 2 hours connected and no problem. I used it the whole time so it never went into that deep sleep mode. I'll try more tomorrow to see what happens.
About that 2nd part, you suggest I charge until 100%, turn it on and then unplug it to see how many hours the battery last? Just want to be sure hahah
Thanks a lot for the help!!!

managed

Allan
Yes the idea is to see how long a full charge can power the laptop, batteries can show a full charge that you would expect to last a fairly long time but if they are wearing out they will only work for a much shorter time.

If you prefer you can simply use the laptop as normal after noting the time, then when the battery runs low Windows should warn you it's about to run out and you can check how long it lasted up to that point.

If you try the above let me know how it goes please.

Seyrarm

Yes the idea is to see how long a full charge can power the laptop, batteries can show a full charge that you would expect to last a fairly long time but if they are wearing out they will only work for a much shorter time.

If you prefer you can simply use the laptop as normal after noting the time, then when the battery runs low Windows should warn you it's about to run out and you can check how long it lasted up to that point.

If you try the above let me know how it goes please.
I tryed it and here what happened
After 3h40m it entered battery saver (30%), but I turned that off
After 5h04m the laptop shut down
I used the laptop only to browse the internet

managed

Allan
Looks like your battery is working well. I would use the laptop as you usually do and see if the problems are fixed.

Seyrarm

Looks like your battery is working well. I would use the laptop as you usually do and see if the problems are fixed.
I still have the same problem where I cant use the laptop of its charging and not at 100% batery... but at least now I know I can use it plugged if its 100%, which is a hug help! Thank you so much!

managed

Allan
At first I thought the battery was the problem but after you tested it and it lasted for a long time I doubt that's the case.
You could get another charger, the one you have now seems to be struggling when it has to power the laptop and charge the battery at the same time. I can't guarantee that will fix it though, you could just use it the way it is now, up to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online