1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Critical Process Died - Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kevinator, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3318 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 112968 MB, Free - 96409 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 764957 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, CAPELL VALLEY(NAPA) CRB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hello people,

I sure hope someone can help me, because I've spent days on this and I'm very frustrated. I have done lots of searching, and it seems like others with this problem have not found answers either. Or maybe I'm a bad searcher, which I'm not ruling out. My Toshiba laptop with Windows 8 won't run unless it's in Safe Mode. I don't know exactly how or when it started, but it completely freezes shortly after boot. Exactly when it freezes varies, but it's usually within the first 5 minutes. And by freezing, I mean it's 100% nonfunctional. The only way to shut down is by removing the battery, so now I just keep it out.

At this point I won't list all the things I've tried, or tell you all about my computer and OS. I will be more than happy to find any information you may need to help solve this riddle. For now though, I'd like to just tell you the error codes that have come up, with the hope that someone is familiar with this problem and can solve it based on past cases or experience.

The crashing happens in a variety of ways, but the end result is always the same. I will hear a click sound through the speakers and simultaneously see a flicker on the display. At that point I will instantly know I'm screwed. Then within 1 to 5 seconds the HDD light on the computer will stop blinking and stay on solid, and my only choice is to unplug the power. It usually happens in one of the following ways, listed in order of likelihood, with the most likely first:

1) I get the BSOD with the error, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.
    2) My display freaks out, and turns into a jumbled up screen of glorious animated visual static. (I have a picture on my phone, if it comes to that.)
    3) I get the BSOD with the error, REFERENCE_BY_POINTER.
    4) No apparent crash, but one keystroke or mouse click will take 20 to 30 minutes to be carried out. During this time, Task Manager says HDD is working at 99 or 100%, even though the computer is idle. Sometimes I'm able to move the mouse pointer, other times I'm not.
    5) I get the BSOD, with an error that I can't really make out. If I was forced to guess, I'd say it looked something like "x0x000000x".
    6) I get a blue screen with a message telling me the computer was improperly shut down, and needs to restart after it collects data. Along with this is a progress report that never moves from 0%.

The last thing I tried was to reinstall Windows, keeping nothing. Now it seems my only available choice is to go through the hundreds of processes and services individually, turning them on and off, one at a time until I find the culprit, the way I had to individually download all of the 107 updates required in order for me to attempt upgrading to Windows 8.1 (unsuccessfully). The stuff I found in the Event Viewer didn't really seem to help, but unless someone has a better idea, I'll probably go back to it and research events more thoroughly before I start disabling things. I hope to avoid this, and that's the nature of this post.

I don't know if this is a clue or not, but in Device Manager my Generic PnP Monitor has an exclamation point by it, but Windows says the driver is up to date, and I can't figure out why why I'm getting the alarm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but please remember that I said I've spent days on this. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That Toshiba laptop appears to be a 2007-era model.

What is its model name and model number?

What's the part/product number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Thank you for responding. Yes, it's kind of old. It's a Satellite A205, but unless the HDD is failing only when I'm not in safe mode, I don't think that's it. I've always had good luck with Toshiba products, and the laptop hardware has never given me a problem. Everything was running fine with Windows 8 for several months, then seemingly out of the blue, this happens. I can't think of a particular event that could have caused the problem.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite A205 series laptop?

It'll have a dash and additional characters after A205.

Example: A205-S4567

From what I can determine, the A205 series laptops came with Windows Vista 32-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Also after providing those details requested by my colleague would you please answer these questions

1. You say it is Toshiba laptop, but then you talk about a monitor - are you using a separate monitor or do you refer to the laptop screen
    If it is a separate monitor please disconnect it and try with just the laptop screen

2. Safe Mode loads a minimal set of drivers and services and amongst these is a low resolution graphics driver so the issue could be the graphics

Low resolution mode loads all other normal drivers and services other than the full graphics if using the laptop screen does not solve the problem please try the low resolution mode
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

see if that also prevents the problem - as Safe Mode does

3. When you reply we will run further tests.

6. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Sorry about that. It's a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587, Model No. PSAF0U-02K009. I couldn't find a part or product number, so I hope that's sufficient, but please be sure to let me know if it's not.

You are correct that the laptop came loaded with 32 bit Vista. I installed Windows 8 shortly after it became available, and I've loved it ever since, with the exception of this problem of course, which started roughly 10 days ago (nobody ever accused me of having an outstanding memory though).

7. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Thank you for getting in on this. The monitor I referred to is the one in Device Manager, which is listed as Generic PnP Monitor. It's the one I talked about having the exclamation point warning that I can't figure out. Not sure, but I assume it's the device driver for an external monitor that I sometimes use to “extend” the display, AKA projecting to a 2nd screen. I doubt this matters, but just in case, it's an LG Flatron M237WD-PM, Model No. M237WDJ, and I connect it via S-Video (I know, yuck, but it works). Microsoft is the driver provider.

I have tried using the second screen only, and as mentioned, 1 and 2 together (extending #1 on to #2), and of course just the default laptop display (or screen) by itself, which is my more usual approach. It doesn't make any difference which of the 3 viewing methods I use, the crash still happens, right on schedule.

Safe mode gives me 2 options: 1280 x 800, or 1024 x 768. Both work fine, as everything works in safe mode.

The crash happens in low res mode as well, but there are some differences. There is no “!” alarm on the PnP Monitor in Device Manager, like there is in safe mode and regular, and the crash takes about twice as long to happen.

Great. Thank you. Looking forward to it.

8. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

This looks interesting:

3258 System Error 8/17/2014 1:39:01 AM EventLog 0 6008 Laptop_01 64 228 The previous system shutdown at 1:17:04 AM on ‎8/‎17/‎2014 was unexpected.

3244 System Warning 8/17/2014 1:16:58 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 212 219 SYSTEM Laptop_01 0 296 The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_0483&PID_2016\5&28503e87&0&2.

9. Macboatmaster

The entry
    The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_0483&PID_2016\5&28503e87&0&2.

WUDFRd is Windows Driver Foundation User Mode Driver Framework Reflector

the device
    USB\VID_0483&PID_2016\5&28503e87&0&2.

is a fingerprint sensor
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1716

Yours may not be exactly that but it is certainly in that family of devices

HOWEVER I do not think that is the cause of the problem, but it would do no harm to check the Toshiba site - obviously you will not find a driver for windows 8.
    Identify the device and then see if you can find a windows 8 driver.

The driver you have for the Intel 945 graphics is WDDM 1.0
    Intel Graphics Drivers, which support WDDM 1.2, support the following new Windows 8 operating system (OS) features:

• Microsoft DirectX* 11.1 support
    • Stereoscopic 3D support
    • Improved graphics fault tolerance with GPU preemption (to improve desktop responsiveness) and timeout detection and recovery improvements (improved resiliency to GPU hangs)
    • DirectFlip to help reduce power consumption.
    These features are not supported with WDDM 1.1 and 1.0 drivers.
    Go device manager open the device and click the driver tab
    then click update driver
    see if it finds anything

If it does not you may have to manage with the present driver, as there are no updates from Intel all drivers for that are provided by Microsoft

Post back when you have tried these and we will move to the next step

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 (PSAF0U-02K009) laptop.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

There are no device drivers and support for that laptop for Windows 8/8.1.

Personally, I would've upgraded it to and stuck with Windows 7 32-bit in it.

I'll leave you with Macboatmaster.

-----------------------------------------------------------

11. Macboatmaster

I agree totally with my colleague
    That laptop is running windows 8 by luck rather than by design

However as you say it has run it OK lets see when you reply to my post 9 - where we can go from here

We will have to do some more troubleshooting if the suggestions in 9 do not get you any further

12. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

This is one of the first things I tried once this problem started. When I individually check each driver listed in Device Manager, Windows says they are all up to date. Is Windows telling me the truth, or do I need to pay a service to check my drivers? And if so, can you recommend an alternative. And the Toshiba site is useless in this situation. Tried that too.

This is not an option for me. I'll understand completely if you want this to be my last option, but I've got to find an alternative. Maybe you could give me a clue though, as to why I didn't have to manage with my present set of drivers for the first couple months that I had Windows 8 on this machine, but now I do.

13. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Thank you for looking that up for me, but like I told Macboatmaster, the Toshiba site is useless in this situation.

I might have done so as well, but I didn't even have plans to move from Vista. My wife came home with Windows 8, told me she got an amazing deal, and told me to put it on our 3 machines. Like you may have read already, I like Windows 8 very much. I'm not an IT guy or programmer or computer expert. I just like Windows 8 much better than Vista. If for no other reason, apples to apples, it boots up about 5 times faster than Vista did.

14. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Better than "OK" IMO. I'd go so far as to say basically flawlessly, until this incident. And I don't really care if I win the lottery by luck or design. The money works the same either way.

When I ran the upgrade checker, it told me there would be a couple little things here and there that may not work with Windows 8, but the results were that I could install Windows 8. The only thing I can think of right now, is that I lost my fingerprint reader, which I didn't use anyway. Seems like if I try real hard I could get that back too, but I'm not interested in doing so. I don't see how it can be the problem, since it wasn't a problem for a couple months or so.

I am looking forward to further attempts to fix this, and I appreciate everyone's help.

15. Kevinator

Kevinator Thread Starter

Does everyone think it's just coincidence that a crash happened 6 seconds after the warning, and there are no other events in between that are critical, warnings, or errors?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!