1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Critical process died

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dtrujeque, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dtrujeque

Dtrujeque Thread Starter

I have a pavilion 23 with Windows 10 and I am getting a stop code: Critical process died and it is not allowing my pc to get to the login page this started today can I stop this somehow?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

3. Dtrujeque

Dtrujeque Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the reply and welcome. I wound up having to wipe the whole system and start from scratch. Lost many important pictures though any help on retrieving those posibbly?

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

It depends what you mean by ".....wipe the whole system...". If that means formatting the hard disk and reinstalling Windows then your personal files will have been overwritten. That does not mean that they are destroyed but it does mean that it would be very costly to retrieve them.

The way data is stored on a hard disk is much more complex than it may seem. Formatting a disk does not necessarily mean the destruction of all data on that disk, in fact most of the time the data can be restored if one has the correct tools to do the job - but those tools and the knowledge as to how to use those tools come at a price, usually a price seldom worth paying.

For the future, to prevent losing personal files again, I strongly recommend that you activate File History. File History is part of Windows, it works seamlessly in the background and is by far the simplest and most convenient way to keep copies of your personal files. You will find File History in the Control Panel.

I also recommend that you consider creating an Emergency Boot Disk (usually a USB flash drive); a System Recovery Disk (usually a CD/DVD); and a System Image Disk (usually a hard disk). You will find all of these in the File History utility.

T.

5. Dtrujeque

Dtrujeque Thread Starter

T,
    Thank you again for the help and I mean I reset the system to factory mode. I am willing to pay the cost as to most of my wedding photos were in there and are now gone. Also thank you for the advise about file history as well as the emergency boot disk, on that now! #rookiemove
    Thanks,
    D

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Sorry to learn that you lost some important files. Were those the only copies of your photographs....:eek:....?

STOP : Stop saving files to that disk, The more files you save the more data you will lose.

In my previous post I said that it could be expensive to restore data from a disk that had been formatted. Resetting a system to factory default does not necessarily mean that the disk was formatted, which means that it is just possible that your files are still there. Every computer manufacturer has their own proprietary way of doing a factory reset, some are quite destructive of the file system, others less so.

So the question that you may be asking is "....why can't I see my files...?...". Windows does not instinctively know where your files are on the disk, for that it needs some kind of cross-reference database where all the addresses of your files on the disk are stored. In a factory reset, that database is overwritten therefore, even though your files might still be just where you left them, Windows does not have the necessary data to find those files.

Think of it like a Satellite Navigation system, without the satellites. The roads are still there, all the info is still in the SatNav, but without the satellites the SatNav has no idea where it is. A Windows file system without the database of file addresses is much the same.

WARNING : I have NOT used the software, details of which I have posted below. Therefore I cannot tell if it is Good, Bad or Indifferent.

The software consistently gets good reviews, so based on that I personally would take the risk of using it to recover important files. But that decision is yours and yours alone.

The basic version for Windows computers is available Free. You can download it from this link: -

https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power-data-recovery.html

T.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice