1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Critical update IE6

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boyoh53, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Hello, a new critical update is out. When I download it and click to install it, I get the mesage "IE6 needs to be installed". Well it definately is as I have XP. (Update Q810847.)
    Can anyone help please? Thanks. :)

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear of your problem...

We've seen it from a customer or two and the end result to get our software to work was to format and reinstall windows! but that was Win ME running.

Hopefully M$ will have a Patch to Fix the Patch soon. Or at least correct the patch to work correctly!

/me sighs!

3. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Thanks ST. From what I have read it does seem they are aware of a problem. That is the fourth update giving me this message.
    Formating and getting things as I have them now does not appeal to me. Just sit it out and hope for the best. ;)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. joe2cool

joe2cool

Hi so it is OK to install (update : 810847 - cumulative patch for I/E 6 SP 1........O/S WinME I/E Version 6.0.2800.1106

THX!!;)

:cool:

6. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, the registry entry was 6.0.2800.1106 I found your second part hard to follow but I went for the file referred to in
    MS page (shdocvw.dll) and the version no was same as above.

I am now going to try find file you speak of. Thanks. :)

Found the Help you speak of and the no. is the same.

Also, going to a wedding to-day and will not be around.

7. SexyTech

SexyTech

One other thing...

Did you update through Windows Update?

or did you download the file and TRY to install it that way?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I wonder if the update you tried applies to the SP1 version of IE?

It appears from the "more info" section in this article that there is a separate service pack 1 patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-004.asp

Your version info shows you have Service Pack 1

Frankly I shouldn't say this, but I avoid most updates like the plague, but then I'm a very conservative user.

9. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

I followed the directions from the update and d/loaded into my folder for installation by me. One thing I do notice, if it makes any difference, file version no. on update is 6 0 2600 whereas the number on my files is 6 0 2800. Would that matter? As I mentioned above this is the 4th service update to give me this problem.
    Usually when I try to update MS does a check on my updates and offer me a selection to choose from. This was all greyed out this time. I appreciate your help. :)

10. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, the link you gave above is the one I used for my download.
    ST can you make sense of my reply? :)

11. boyoh53

boyoh53 Thread Starter

I found the problem listed, here is a small cut and paste,
    it wouldn't allow me to copy all. :mad:

When attempting to access Windows Update, the page which directs you to update your Windows Update software is displayed. Clicking "Update Now" results in the same page being displayed, making it impossible to access the site.

Reply; We are still researching this issue. :)

It did work what ever has happened.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice