1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Critical Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Emtronics, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emtronics

Emtronics Thread Starter

Has anyone had any trouble with the last two critical updates for WinXP? Update 811493, Security Update and Q817287 update for Windows catolog security were both offered about a week ago. I downloaded these via auto update feature and installed them. After installing these updates, my computer acted slow when opening any program. I mean real slow. It also took twice as long to boot the computer. I did a System Restore and removed one of the updates by restoring to a point before it was installed. (the Q817287 one) and everything returned to it's snappy self. I installed the updates on my other XP computer and it acted the same way. Had to restore it the same way I did this computer. I refuse to update my third computer.

2. Bulldog

Bulldog

Seems to be a problem related with this hotfix. Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling could Lead to Elevated Privileges:Hotfix(811493) on some computers. Alot of people on Microsofts forum are reporting a slowdown or sluggishness after the update. When the update is removed the computer returns to normal.

Click Me

Cheers

3. Emtronics

Emtronics Thread Starter

Well heck. I'm not sure which update it was. It must be the 811493 update. Either or.... At any rate, I did a system restore and SR listed two updates, the 2 MS offered and I installed, so I highlighted the Q817287 one and did the restore. Thanks for the link Mac. It seems that there are alot of people wondering what is happening. As usual, it's "our" fault and not Microsofts. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice