1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

critical update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kavala, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kavala

kavala Thread Starter

I'm running xp and cannot download critical update KB888162. Can anyone tell me what this is or why it will not install? :confused:

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi kavala,

Here is what KB888162 is:

You receive an "Explorer.EXE - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library Shlwapi.dll" error message after you install the MS04-038 security update
    Provides the steps to resolve the problem that occurs when you receive an "Explorer.EXE - Entry Point Not Found" error message after you install the MS04-038 security update.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;888162

Follow the instructions at the above webpage link if you get the error.

Download Belarc Advisor (freeware) from http://www.belarc.com if you do not know how to find what updates you have made to your computer.

Don't know from the information you provided why it won't install.

-- Tom

3. kavala

kavala Thread Starter

Hi, lotus
    I get the message when I use 'updates ready for your computer'. I click to install the updates, and after the installer runs, I get the message ' could not install windows xp critical update (KB888162). Is it anything to do with sp2? It's just the use of the word 'critical' thats a little unerving.

Thanks... Chris

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Chris,

I run WinXP Pro SP2, and do not have 888162 installed, but I do have all of the critical updates as of Aug05 up-to-date, so it has nothing to do with SP2 AFAIK.

I take it you are not running SP2?

Take a look here about Windows Update - it might help in your situation:
    http://theeldergeek.com/index.html

-- Tom

5. kavala

kavala Thread Starter

Hi Tom

I am grateful for the information you have given to me. I followed the links and am now reading the rellivant articles. I seem to have more of a problem than I originally thought, I don't think SP2 is running and I'm having problems installing activeX from MS updates,something to do with security settings. I suspect one of my kids has done something here so I'll just have to plug away until I find an answer. Your help is much appreciated and theeldergeek website is something I've never heard of, but I'm sure it'll help me solve my problem.

Once again thanks, this is a great site........ Chris.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Chris,

To tell if SP2 is installed and running:
    Start->Control Panel->System
    Mine says:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

What does yours say? Home or Pro? SP1 or SP2?

-- Tom

7. kavala

kavala Thread Starter

Hi Tom

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Thats what it says, but when I try to install activeX it keeps saying my current security settings will not allow it. I've followed the MS Update site instructions and right clicked on the tools bar, but it does not show anything about activeX like it does on the web page..

.... Chris

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Chris,

Here's a webpage about the SP2 changes in functionality. Search for ActiveX in the webpage to see if there is anything there that can help you resolve the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx

-- Tom

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Chris,

What are your current Security settings in IE, assuming that as your browser?

Do you run a software and/or hardware firewall?

-- Tom

10. kavala

kavala Thread Starter

Hi Tom

Sorry about the delayed reply, working too hard..........

Still can't install activeX, I've used the links you sent, I've reset my security settings, as shown on diagram on windows update site and still nothing. I have norton internet security installed and use the firewall on it. I have disabled norton and tried to install activeX, but still no luck. I've right clicked on the toolbar on IE but there is nothing on there to do with activeX. I've carried out the test for it on PC Pitstop but all I keep getting is the same message:

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly".

I'm sure the answer to the problem is there in the info you have directed me to, it's probably there staring me in the face, but I just can't see it.On the upside, I've downloaded some free software along the way and it has enabled me to tune up the system and it's now running really fast.

..Chris

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Chris,

With IE, use Tools pull-down, select Internet Options
    Select Security tab, highlight Internet, click on Custom Level

Scroll down to ActiveX controls and plug-ins, what are you settings for:
    Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls:
    Binary and script behaviors:
    Download signed ActiveX controls:
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls:
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe:
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins:
    Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting:

-- Tom

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice