1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crond

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by gfxrelay, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

Greetings I am trying to use cron to schedule fetchmail to download mail at a certain time. Every time I try to use cron I get this error: crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid, otherpid may be 2094, Resource temporarily unavailable. Does any one know how to solve this?:confused:

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi gfxrelay,

What OS/version are you using? What software are you using for your emailer?

Does your emailer not provide you with a way to schedule checking your email? If it does, then that is the preferred way rather than trying to tie the email fetch mechanism into cron, i.e. fetching email is usually an internal function of the emailer, and might not necessarily be available as an external interface to a facility like cron for scheduling it to operate.

-- Tom

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you running the command "crond" to schedule the task? If so, you should be running the "crontab" command and then schedule the task. "crontab -e" is the command you would run to add a new scheduled task.

EDIT: Also, be sure to run "crontab -e" as the user the mail fetch will run for and not as root.

Peace...

4. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am using fedora 8 with fetchmail. I can download mail but I have to run the fetchmail command manually for it to connecto to the specified pop3 server: ferchmail --fetchmail /etc/fetchmailrc. I wanted to automate this so that fetchmail downloads my e-mail every ten minutes but this is the only way I could find to do it:confused:

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi gfxrelay,

Checkout F8 Fetchmail Configuration.

Note: see the paragraph entitled: Setup fetchmail and ~/.fetchmailrc which will tell you how to set up fetchmail polling with crontab.

-- Tom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice