1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cross icon on top left of page of Word

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fredagnir, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredagnir

fredagnir Thread Starter

My wife and I are annoyed by that cross icon at the top left that comes up with a Word for Windows document. We don't know what is the function of that and it creates problems. What do we do?

2. raybro

raybro

I don't think it matters much as I've never seen the icon you are describing in any version of Word, but what version of Word are you using? Perhaps if you posted a screen shot it would help us understand.

Raybro

3. fredagnir

fredagnir Thread Starter

I tried to do a screenshot and when I diplayed the screenshot, the cross icon disappeared. I'll give up on that. I have another question. When I do two-columns, how do I control the width of the space between the coluimns?

4. raybro

raybro

There are a couple of ways to do it, but I find the simplest is to create the columns I want in a table, get all the data entered, then under "Borders". select "No Borders. The table borders disappear and you are left with nice, neat columns. Separation is a simple click and drag operation.

Raybro

5. fredagnir

fredagnir Thread Starter

Thank you, Ray. I will try it and pass it on to my wife who is going bananas trying to control margins, column distances and breaks with not much luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!