Cross referencing software?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaveinNC

Greetings- I am attempting to find software that auto-populates among three sources. (Probably not explaining it correctly)

The 3 documents that I use:
  • A checklist that I use in PDF.
  • A Database in MS Word.
  • A report that I write in MS Word.
I inspect a business and use the PDF checklist on my iPad. The database contains the information that I'll use to select parts to cut and paste into a Word report to send to the client. The database is state-specific, so there is a different database for each state.

What I'd like? I'd like to be able to identify (Check or click) a box on the PDF checklist that would automatically populate the Word report with information instead of me trying to find it on the database, copy, and paste it into the report.

Example- I see a pool of antifreeze under a car, so I click "Antifreeze leak" on the checklist. As soon as it is checked, the program would populate the report with:
  • "Antifreeze: A vehicle with leaking antifreeze jeopardizes the health of animals that may consume this liquid. Leaking antifreeze may be the result of a broken coolant line, unsecured radiator or heater hose, an overheated engine or stuck thermostat that forces excessive coolant out of the system, or a leaking radiator or water pump."

I'm sure I haven't explained this right- but do you have any ideas? (I can create my own forms and can also change forms and the database to or form PDF to Word, etc.)
Thanks for reading-

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
For such a bespoke requirement, I doubt you're going to find an application that'll do such a thing out of the box. While Microsoft has been moving away from Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), this would still likely work for such a task. However, this would mean learning how to program modules to perform the tasks you want, and this is no mean feat if you're wholly unfamiliar with the environment.

Couriant

James
I haven't come across any way to manipulate data like that for a PDF, other than saving/printing the report as a PDF from a Word document.

It sounds like you need a specific program that does reports like this as Colin mentioned, you are going beyond what Word can do.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where did you get this " The database already exists in a Word format "?

MS Word is NOT a database, but can contain a table of data, is that what you mean?

DaveinNC

Sorry- I called it a "database", but it's actually a Word 200 page narrative (document) of the information that I use for a report.

Couriant

James
Would I be right in thinking that you are doing an automobile service?

I'm not sure for PDF because PDF doesn't support any known database format, but for almost any other database you can import (customize and select) data before importing into MS Access database.

Create new database, and click on "External Data", there you'll find options to import data from external formats.

If you can find data from PDF somewhere online, then importing data from web page is easy to do, but directly from PDF not possible, because PDF is not database format.

Drabdr

Brad
While reading through this, the first thing I thought about was building a MS Access database to accomplish what you’re looking for. Is this is option for you?

Couriant

James
While reading through this, the first thing I thought about was building a MS Access database to accomplish what you’re looking for. Is this is option for you?
This may be a better option and use Print to PDF when you need it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online