Crosses in some navigation boxes..HELP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robinamagic

Hi, on some websites (not many) instead of the navigation boxes I get outlined boxes with a small cross in them...I ended up emailing one of the website owners and they suggested I download Java from microsoft I did go to the microsoft website but found it too confusing. My laptop is only 4 weeks old and I am running XP....could someone please give me some advice..thank you...:) :rolleyes:

Sorry to add here but i thought it would be better than starting another thread with the same problem. I'm running IE 6 with XP Pro. With one particular internet site (www.expedia.co.uk) I get blocks with red crosses in them. I've downloaded the most up to date java, restarted and still have the problem.

It's not just crosses in blocks though. On expedia the calendar doesn't work properly (no numbers, just a block) and the virtual tours don't work either.

Alex

robinamagic

my problem is solved, I downloaded java virtual machine and BINGO crosses have gone

I've installed Microsoft JVM and Java Web Start but am still having the same problem. I've attached a screen print.

I've also deleted temporary internet files.

Any ideas how I can solve this, it's extremely annoying?

Alex

Attachments

robinamagic

my advice would be to post this message on its own...I posted mine in a couple of places and got good responses. Check out the different sections you can post it in ie: Operating System XP and Web

I posted one other place here bt I don't want to cross-post too much.
As I said I installed the newest version of java web start and also the microsoft virtual machine. Still no luck. So I installed firefox, which was suggested in an archive, but with no luck. I've attached two screenshots. One of IE and the other of Firefox.

I don't know what to do :(

Attachments

I found this solution and it worked straight away:

In Windows XP go to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

I had 2 host files listed there:

lmhosts.sam &
hosts

I renamed the hosts file to hosts.sav and my problem was fixed.

I can't believe how many things were suggested and tried but finally I have got rid of the dreaded red crosses! :D Hope this helps others

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online