1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crosses in some navigation boxes..HELP

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by robinamagic, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robinamagic

robinamagic Thread Starter

Hi, on some websites (not many) instead of the navigation boxes I get outlined boxes with a small cross in them...I ended up emailing one of the website owners and they suggested I download Java from microsoft I did go to the microsoft website but found it too confusing. My laptop is only 4 weeks old and I am running XP....could someone please give me some advice..thank you...:) :rolleyes:

2. byepeeps

byepeeps

Sorry to add here but i thought it would be better than starting another thread with the same problem. I'm running IE 6 with XP Pro. With one particular internet site (www.expedia.co.uk) I get blocks with red crosses in them. I've downloaded the most up to date java, restarted and still have the problem.

It's not just crosses in blocks though. On expedia the calendar doesn't work properly (no numbers, just a block) and the virtual tours don't work either.

Alex

3. robinamagic

my problem is solved, I downloaded java virtual machine and BINGO crosses have gone

4. byepeeps

byepeeps

I've installed Microsoft JVM and Java Web Start but am still having the same problem. I've attached a screen print.

I've also deleted temporary internet files.

Any ideas how I can solve this, it's extremely annoying?

Alex

Attached Files:

5. robinamagic

my advice would be to post this message on its own...I posted mine in a couple of places and got good responses. Check out the different sections you can post it in ie: Operating System XP and Web

6. byepeeps

byepeeps

I posted one other place here bt I don't want to cross-post too much.
    As I said I installed the newest version of java web start and also the microsoft virtual machine. Still no luck. So I installed firefox, which was suggested in an archive, but with no luck. I've attached two screenshots. One of IE and the other of Firefox.

I don't know what to do :(

Attached Files:

7. byepeeps

byepeeps

I found this solution and it worked straight away:

In Windows XP go to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

I had 2 host files listed there:

lmhosts.sam &
    hosts

I renamed the hosts file to hosts.sav and my problem was fixed.

I can't believe how many things were suggested and tried but finally I have got rid of the dreaded red crosses! :D Hope this helps others

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!