1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crossfire & Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ziralien, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ziralien

ziralien Thread Starter

Hey there! I've got a computer that has two hard drives by Western Digital as well as two Radeon Sapphire video cards. Problems are one of the HD's and one of the vids aren't showing up as they should be.

Looking in Computer, only one hard drive is showing. I've double checked to make sure both drives have their SATA cables connected, as well as the power. They do. So I'm wondering why only one is showing up.

For the video cards, they're both Radeon HD 6870's, 1gb each. Only one of them is showing up through dxdiag, and that one is only showing as 726mb. The Crossfire ribbon is attached to the cards, and they both have power running. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advances, guys!
    -Ziralien

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

device manager not my computer see if recogniosed in there
    if on 7 type create partition enter that see if your drives are there and live

are the cards both running ? can you actually see the fans etc??

3. stretch1967

stretch1967

are the 2 hard drives setup on a raid array if so you would only see 1 drive with the 2 drives combined if not raid, you may have to go into bios setup to see if both sata ports are set to enabled

and if your mb does infact support sli one of your video cards may be defective i would remove 1 video card and start the pc without crossfire and if it works swap cards and try again if both cards work try another sli cable

4. ziralien

ziralien Thread Starter

Both fans are running on each card.

They're both 1tb drives; only one is showing at just under 1tb of space. I'm not sure how to enter bios to set up enabling SATA ports; would a run-down of that be possible to give?

The ASUS Maximus III Formula board should be capable of handling sli/crossover video cards. I've started the PC with just one card to see if both work; they do. It's just when they're both in together that it appears only one is working while the other apparently 'sleeps.'

Thanks again for the help so far!
    -Ziralien

5. stretch1967

stretch1967

to enter bios setup start the computer and when the asus logo shows tap the delete key a few times it may also be f2 it will tell which key to hit on the bottom of the screen after setup starts on the main tab it will show the drives installed if only 1 of your drives are there hit the esc key to exit select exit without saving changes shut down the pc check hard drive cables sata and power are secure and try again if it still does not show up you may have a defective drive

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice