1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crowded Wifi signals

Discussion in 'Networking' started by namo, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namo

namo Thread Starter

I have 3 outdoor Wifi AP with different frequency. It was OK until another few people connect many outdoor AP. Now the signal strength decrease and all wifi frequency 1-13 are taken. Is there away to decrease the interference from other Wifi signals.

My AP has output of 400-1000mw and connected to antenna from 9-15dbi. Do you recommend a type of AP?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There really is no good solution to overcrowding of the wireless spectrum. You could consider 802.11n that also uses the 5.8ghz spectrum, maybe you'll have better luck with that.

3. namo

namo Thread Starter

but the problem is that all users will need to change to Wireless-n. Is there mix of 2.4 and 5.8GHz so people who care can change the adapter. The problem that wireless-n is still expensive. My signals are WPA encrypted and other has no encrypt( they are using protected servers as Mikrotik so even if you connect, you will be asked for user name and password. I change from other provider to protect my network better)

4. JohnWill

Well, if you are trying to operate in a crowded 2.4ghz spectrum, you may have no real choice but to change something about your installation. :)

5. namo

namo Thread Starter

Will increasing the power of AP improve the situation?
    I have 4W Gsky AP http://www.gsky-link.com/downloads/PDFs/AP user manual_MsGTxSUL.pdf.
    But if I set the power higher than 25%, the internet become slow.

I try to put the power at 100%; most users are connect it at 54Mbps but the internet speed become slow. When I drop the power to 10%, people connect at 1-11Mbps but the internet speed is good.

6. JohnWill

A situation like this is 99% trial-n-error as to what will help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice