1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CRT Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by human.soul, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. human.soul

human.soul Thread Starter

Hi guys, i have a Compac PII, 266MHz, 10GB Hdd.
    I have been using a BENQ LCD monitor but recently changed the monitor. I have been trying to use a 14" ABT CRT Monitor which first when i boot the machine it takes a bit long to show the green light and consequently anything on the screen.
    Eventually it comes around and displays boot info, but doesnt get past the Windows XP Logon screen. When the computer get to the Windows XP Logon screen, the monitor goes black and shows the red light like the computer is not off.
    With the LCD Monitor everything works fine, but i have to use the CRT for my design work, could anyone please help?

2. onsite

onsite

Probably your crt is a low end monitor and your resollution is set way to high for the crt.
    you can do one of 2 things
    1, restart the pc, every few seconds tap the F8 key, you should get a text screen. One of the options says something like vga compatability mode, select this
    2. at the same screen select safe mode. once in safe mode and at your desktop , right click on a blank area of your desktop, selct properties, then settings tab. Adjust the color quality down and screen size. .

3. human.soul

I tried booting in safe mode and changed the screen resolution to 800x600 with medium(16) color quality but still behaves the same. Sometimes it doesnt even boot in safe mode, hangs when it gets to a "\system32\ag....something.440" driver

4. onsite

onsite

..and it boots up without a hitch using the LCD
    If so go to system in control panel
    then harware tab
    then device manager
    click the + sign next to monitor
    highlight and delete the LCD monitor or everything under monitors, especially if more than 2 entries
    click ok or apply, reboot.

5. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Windows XP on a 266MHz Pentium II......
    Yowser! :eek:

6. human.soul

Rumpo: I know its not the best way to go but when designing you need to have something like that.............................

Onsite: Thanks a million for your help, finally sorted it out. I played around with another hard disk got it to boot in safe mode and updated the drivers.
    Now atleast it works not perfect but resonably ok.

7. onsite

onsite

Rumpo I am sure It is pain for him

You are welcome, glad to have helped

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

All that old equipment on XP, I'm afreaid that is an accident waiting to happen...you made your $ on it, it owes you nothing for certain. I would be backing up every minute int he background though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice