1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CRT Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steelo83, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steelo83

steelo83 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently purchased a new desktop computer (used but relatively new - intel 1.7ghz, 256mb ram) and today connected it to my old monitor (Samtron 76E CRT). I installed
    windows XP without a problem; however the display was very poor quality. I entered the control panel but was unable to change the resolution or colour quality. The resolution is at the lowest setting nd only 4 bit colour can be displayed. I have adjusted these settings
    on my notebook computer before but in this instance there are no other settings available other than the lowest ones previsously specified.

I shut down the computer and rebooted but now I don't get any display. The windows xp symbol appears and windows begins to load but then the screen turns black and I get nothing. I'm pretty sure the computer is loading correctly but I am unable to tell when there is no display.

Could my monitor not be compatible with my new computer? I wouldn't have thought so considering the computer is really only an upgrade and not much different to my old machine.

Any assistance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

2. smalltown

smalltown

More than likely you need to install updated drivers. Find your video card manufacturer and model name, head to their website, follow the directions to download and install the most current drivers for your video card. hope that helps

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Try booting into safe mode to see if you get any kind of a usable screen. Start tapping the F8 key as as you see the Windows XP splash screen.

4. steelo83

steelo83 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have attempted to run the computer in safe mode but have the same problem - screen turns black once windows begins to load.

I really have no use for the video card, I basically salvaged it from my old pc but I don't really need it. Is it likely to make a difference if I remove it and try again?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You need some type of video output to drive the monitor. Does the computer's motherboard have an on board video controller?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice