Crucial 1GB RAM Board Regstering as 512MB??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wwjda2z

I ordered two of these 1GB Crucial brand RAM boards from Newegg but my PC only registers them as 512MB each, both in the BIOS and operating sysem (WindowsXP Home Ed. SP2). I have this ECS motherboard which should support the RAM. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Since I had a problem, I read through all of Newegg’s buyer feedback and found someone else with a related ECS model MB (P4MB80 pro) who had the same problem so I suspect it's an unfixable hardware incompatibility glitch :(

Welcome to the TSG forums...

Did you check the Crucial website BEFORE you ordered the RAM to be SURE that the board is compatible with it? If not, you have some homework to do, and I suspect you'll eventually have to RMA the RAM...

crjdriver

Crucial's site does not list those chips however they do list similar 1gig chips.
Since that board is one of those that supports both sdram and ddram, have you checked your manual for any bios settings?

I would really rma the ram and go with ram listed on crucial's site. You do not have to buy it from crucial; you can buy it from zipzoomfly, newegg, mwave, etc. Just buy the same part # listed on crucial's site.

crjdriver

If you want some other advise, using a via chipset for an intel build is really asking for problems. On top of that ecs is at or near the bottom of board makers for quality. If you want a trouble free system, go with a quality board running an intel chipset.

wwjda2z

Thanks for the welcome PuppyLinux :)
Crucial's downloadable memory scanner detected my MB as a v1.0A when it is actually a v2.0 so I don't have a lot of confidence in it. If RAM works in V1.0A it would likely be compatible with a v2.0 MB, but not for sure. The v2.0 is nearly identical but with expanded CPU support.

I found two other posts online where 1GB Crucial RAM sticks did this same thing with other MBs. There was also a post where someone said this was caused by putting high density RAM in a PC that only supported low density so the PC only registered each HD chip at half size. But, I don't think these boards are HD; they are 128Mx64.

This is the second ECS motherboard I've owned and I've never had a 'hiccup' with either one. I know they are low end but Sandrasoft's benchmark software shows that the MB subsystems are performing within specs and I've heard plenty of horror stories about high end brands as well. I honestly think it's largely hit and miss with most well-established brands.

Here's the Crucial results:

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Elite Group (ECS) P4M800PRO-M (1.0A) Motherboard .

USB Support: 2.x Compliant
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Chipset: VIA P4M800 Pro
DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-3200 and PC2-4200
Supported DRAM Types: DDR and DDR2 SDRAM
Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 2048MB
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 2048MB
Max Component Density: 1024
184-pin DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Graphics Support: AGP 8X
240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?
A: Possibly
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?
A: Your computer takes two kinds of memory DDR,DDRII

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?
A: 2048MB.
Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?
A: No.
No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?
A: Yes.
To benefit from the performance advantages offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?
A: No.
Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system

wwjda2z

"...have you checked your manual for any bios settings?"

I have checked the BIOS settings. There are adjustments for speed and voltage (both set correctly), but nothing that I can see would effect size recognition. :(

crjdriver said:
Crucial's site does not list those chips however they do list similar 1gig chips.
Since that board is one of those that supports both sdram and ddram, have you checked your manual for any bios settings?

I would really rma the ram and go with ram listed on crucial's site. You do not have to buy it from crucial; you can buy it from zipzoomfly, newegg, mwave, etc. Just buy the same part # listed on crucial's site.
Yes but lately Crucial has been cheaper and they guaranty it will work so you don't pay restocking charges if it does not and you want to just return it.

Well, it seems to me that this requires a judgment call now; my own opinion is that I REFUSE to risk my data using possibly incompatible hardware. CPUs, RAM, HDDs... those are the items we rely on to keep our data safe, and to AVOID the possibility of corrupting the data, now, or in the future. I don't have a problem with ECS motherboards; I've installed dozens of them for customers, and have two of them in test beds at the shop. They work as advertised, and that is all I expect of them. I took them in trade when customers wanted to upgrade from Socket A to Socket AM2...

Risking data integrity is something I'm not willing to do; I simply don't have time to try to recover corrupted data, so I urge you to RMA the RAM and buy some DIMMs that are KNOWN to be compatible with your board.

BTW, it IS possible that the Crucial downloadable scanner hasn't been updated to detect the difference in your (newer) mainboard, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. According to the law of unintended consequences, ANY changes to the hardware between the v1.0A and v2.0 boards COULD affect the system in ways that are unforseen. The simple bottom line is, I'd get known-compatible RAM, and be done with this.

Best of luck to you; keep us posted...

wwjda2z

I did some research and called Crucial and finally found out the problem. Newegg listed the RAM as CT12864AA53E which is shown as compatible on Crucial's site, but what Newegg sent me was CT12864AA53E.M8FA which is a high density (8 chips on board instead of 16) version. Not all motherboards are compatible with high density RAM so they only recognize each of the 8 chips at half size (like they would be in a 16 chip board). The '8' in the RAM's model# suffix refers to 8 chip high density.

I'm going to try a BIOS update to see if ECS has improved high density compatibility. If that doesn't work, all I can do is return it for low density. Newegg should use the full part# and mention whether RAM is low or high density since it matters.

Wow something I caution on all the time....you cannot mix it and high density is the least compatible ram.

wwjda2z

After I explained the problem to Newegg, they offered a refund, waived the 15% restocking fee and gave me $10 off if I ordered replacement RAM from them.

In case anyone else with the P4M800PRO-M V2.0 motherboard has the same problem, I ordered Kingston KVR533D2N4K2/2G as a replacement, and it is low density and works perfectly.

At least the story has a happy ending thanks to Newegg's good customer service policies.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online