1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crucial's 100% guarantee may be more like 99.9%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by myvicisslow, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myvicisslow

myvicisslow Thread Starter

Recently I went to the Crucial website to find out what memory modules are compatible for my PC. I have a ABIT BH6 motherboard. After going through the 3 steps to find compatible memory i got this page linky The specific one I was interested in is CT32M72S4D7E (SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • ECC • 7.5ns • 3.3V • 32Meg x 72 ). So, by referring to this guide I went to pricegrabber.com to find better prices. I found the same type memory from Kingston for a better price (256mb pc133 ecc dimm cl2 3.3v 32x72), so I bought it, thinking it should be compatible since the specs match up with the Crucial one. Well, when I received the memory I installed it and guess what? NOT compatible. Out of 256 my mobo only supports 128mb. I found out that my mb doesn't support PC 133. Now I have to return my memory, pay a restocking fee, and buy a PC 100 module. Total bummer.

In a way it was foolish of me to use Crucials specs to buy Kingston memory. I even went to Kingstons website to check for compatibilty. I must have overlooked the fact that only pc100's showed up in the page since every other spec matched up. I trusted the fact Crucial showed that PC 133 would work and ignored the fact that Kingston didn't. But since I did not purchase the Crucial memory, I DO NOT in fact know if the pc133 from Crucial would be compatible with my mobo.
    But if Kingstons PC 133 isn't compatible then how could Crucial's be? Does anyone have a MOBO that says it only supports pc100 yet their pc133 works just fine? Unless of course Crucial made a booboo. That's why I say their 100% MAY be more like 99.9%.

So I guess the lesson learned here is: I should have just purchased the memory from Crucial if I were gonna use their specs. That way, had their pc133 been incompatible I could've returned it w/o the restocking fee. ho hum.

2. zeddy

zeddy

I think you have answered your own question, you should have stuck with Crucial and then you would have got a refund or exchange.

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

I've personally used PC150 in a PC66mhz board, the speed doesn't matter.

Crucials memory might be low density whereas Kingston is commonly high density.

High density will not be properly recognized in most systems (only half is seen) wheras low density will be used properly.

Now you know.

Cheers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice