cruel when anonymous

Fyzbo

Have you ever noticed that when people are given an anonymous outlet to express their opinions many can be very nasty. Is it human nature to be mean to others and it's just supressed by society? or is it that those who enjoy being mean lack the courage to do it outright?

It's easy to be nasty when there are no consequences. I have a blog and for a long time, I had a "comment troll" who would constantly berate me anonymously. They would say what a fat whore I was, how I was a terrible mother, how I had bushy eyebrows ( :confused: ). And those are about the only comments that are fit to print on a PG-13 site. :eek: I would delete the comments as quickly as possible and then get berated for deleting any comment that didn't "Kiss my ***." Well, through the very helpful people here at TSG :D we found out where they were coming from and it turned out to be a woman that I had previously thought to be my friend. She had always been perfectly sweet to me and I had no reason to suspect her and I was shocked that it turned out to be her. As far as I can figure, I never have done anything directly to her, but I am good friends with one of her (male) friends so maybe there was some jealousy/territorial issues there? I mean, she couldn't be mean to my face because then he would know what a mean person she was. So I guess this was her way of getting back at me. :confused: I don't know.

I don't think it is human nature to be nasty. I think some people are just so unhappy with themselves that they want to make others miserable too. Just a theory.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Di: Sorry to hear about your troubles on your blog! :eek: You have a wonderful sense of humor...it shows in your posts! ;) :D

DiSaidSo said:
I don't think it is human nature to be nasty. I think some people are just so unhappy with themselves that they want to make others miserable too. Just a theory.

This is so true.. it's kinda sad that they live this way.

Life's to short

It's a good theory, and/or people like to point at other people being nasty to distract from their own nastiness (read unhappiness).

Anyway, where's your blog, I wanna read it :D

angelize56 said:
How you'd get rid of her Di!!! :eek: :D
Redirected every Charter user in Kingsport, Tennessee to http://www.aboutpsychotherapy.com :D

Oh, and THEN, they expanded their ISP range and she got through a couple weeks ago. :eek: So she had been redirected for at least two months.... and was still trying. PSYCHO! So I fixed the redirect to go to this site:

http://loser.before-reality.net/

I'm so clever that I think I have to go lie down now. :D

I'd like to know how you did that Di. Very cool ..

I'm kinda like Sammy .. my kitty .. I like to play with my prey before the kill.

They are so predictable ..

Fyzbo

Di, something similar prompted this post. I have a contact page on my website that can be used anonymously. I tend to get nasty e-mails through it with no idea as to why.

Well, I didn't do much except complain! :p LOL Thingamajig and Ciberblade both got on board and first wrote some code doohickey that would record the ISP of everyone who visted the main page of my blog (along with the referring page which I found more intriguing than anything else :D). Then they gave me some fancy website that when you put in an ISP, it can tell you all sorts of stuff. So when I'd get a rash of nasty comments, I'd go into the "blog log," as I liked to call it, and compare times and ISPs and eventually, we found a pattern and nailed down the perpetrator. So we took her ISP, plugged it into the magic ISP lookup page and got the range. Then Thingy wrote some code to redirect that range and told me to pick a redirect website and let me know where to plug it in on the Blogger template settings. It was like CSI for computers. :D

No seriously, they really came through for me and I am totally indebted to them. I keep thanking them and they're all, "Pssssh, no big." :eek: :D But don't worry, blog visitors! I only check the log when there's mean comments. ;) So don't be mean and I won't have to e-stalk your e-butt. :D

DiSaidSo said:
Redirected every Charter user in Kingsport, Tennessee to http://www.aboutpsychotherapy.com :D

Oh, and THEN, they expanded their ISP range and she got through a couple weeks ago. :eek: So she had been redirected for at least two months.... and was still trying. PSYCHO! So I fixed the redirect to go to this site:

http://loser.before-reality.net/

I'm so clever that I think I have to go lie down now. :D
Very nice. (y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online