1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cryptographic Service Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LJ_June, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJ_June

LJ_June Thread Starter

I can not get my cryptographic servises to start.... it keeps giving me error code 126

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

Take a look here
    Scroll down to "error 126".

3. LJ_June

LJ_June Thread Starter

It will not let me type anything in the "cmd" box

4. Claymore

Claymore

Sorry, but just to get this straight.
    You click on Start, then on Run, and type in cmd
    The Command window opens - usually a black window with white writing.
    When you try to type something, nothing happens?

5. LJ_June

LJ_June Thread Starter

correct..... it just closes

6. Claymore

Claymore

You may have a virus of some kind. Have you run a scan?

7. LJ_June

LJ_June Thread Starter

yes i ran avg and it didnt find anything......it was suggested to reinstall windows.... would that work?

8. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Instead of the cmd box type it in start/ run
    IE you go to start/ run and type
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    Hit enter and wait for it to finish and say entry successful
    Proceed with next entry.

Alternatively open notepad
    Copy all of what they have in one of those

into it
    Name it
    "firstfix.bat"
    with the quotes and all files as type and desktop as location and click save
    Then go to it and double click
    It should run and close.

Restart and repeat for second batch
    If a window opens and asks you to , click "OK"

9. Claymore

Claymore

Probably, but that's pretty drastic. You would have to save all your data first. After re-installing you would then have to do all the Windows updates and re-install all your programs.
    Just to be sure, I suggest you download HiJackThis here.
    Run it in it's own folder, genearte the log, and post the log in the HiJackThis forum here.
    In your post, mention that the Command window closes as soon as you try to access it.
    One of the experts will read it and advise you.

10. Claymore

Claymore

Just saw oshwyn5's reply. I was thinking of the same thing, so go ahead and do it.
    But you want to take care of the Command window problem.

11. LJ_June

LJ_June Thread Starter

Ok i tried that.... when i went to the services it said stopping for a few seconds. then i clicked start and i gave me the same error: #126

12. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Did you run system File Checker?
    Go to start/ run and type
    sfc /scannow
    hit enter
    If prompted insert your Xp install cd.

Also did you do all the steps (in order) specified at the previous link?

Next option would be to run this from KellysKorner Tips and tweaks item 288 left
    [url-=http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm]http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm[/url]

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cryptsvc.reg

Finally if you have not done so you should post a hijackthis log on the hijackthis board and have it checked since there are a couple malware which will do this to prevent you from running windows update and getting the latest malicious software removal tool

13. Claymore

Claymore

The following is usually a fix if the service is missing, but it won't do any harm to try:

Copy the code below. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a suitable location as crypto.reg - making sure that the default .txt extension doesn't appear in the file name (Save as type = All Files).
    Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
    Restart

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CryptSvc]
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00
    "Description"="Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."
    "DisplayName"="Cryptographic Services"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
      74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
      00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,\
      6b,00,20,00,6e,00,65,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,73,00,00,00
    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Type"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CryptSvc\Parameters]
    "ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
      00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
      63,00,72,00,79,00,70,00,74,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,\
    "ServiceMain"="CryptServiceMain"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CryptSvc\Security]
    "Security"=hex:00,00,0e,00,01

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CryptSvc\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_CRYPTSVC\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001
    But I'm still concerned about no Command window.

14. vladypus

vladypus

Alright, this was driving me mad, and it took all day to fix. I hope this post helps people, and that I have added as many hooks into this issue as possible, so that the thread moves up in search results.

Most of the posts I saw in researching this issue referred to people having trouble with XP pre service pack 2 (SP2) versions of windows. I am running windows XP SP2.

Synopsis: sfc /scannow did not replace missing certcli.dll, if it's not there get it from somewhere else.

The trouble started after my computer crashed in the middle of and update. Subsequent updates did not work. Automatic update kept trying to install the same updates over and over. It would download an update, start installing, and then spit out an error saying, "Some updates could not be installed". The second I dismissed the error dialog, automatic update would pop up a prompt asking me to download the same update again. The particular update was KB933729, though I think this is incidental.

Another log with a bunch of errors, of which I'm guessing these are the most significant.
    So I checked the cryptographic service and indeed its not running. Upon trying to start it I get the "Error 126: The specified module could not be found". So I search and found the info over at http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html and at the microsoft support page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798. I went through almost everything they had to no success. As I tried the updatexp.com solution where you have to run gpedit.msc and go to to Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Software Restriction Policies, I received the following errors:
    This guy had the same problem: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18382

At this point, having run regsvr32 and sfc /scannow umpteen times, I was going crazy. The only solution that seemed it might still work was a repair install to XP SP1a and get all the updates [http://usenet.p2preactor.com/index-t-1496715.html] . This seemed unacceptable to me, but it was getting to the point where I had few options remaining. Since it seemed like all this stuff must have something something to do with certificates and/or public keys, I decided I would just copy over all the system32 files that seemed to be related to those subjects from another computer [by the way: I'm sure there are many more files than the ones it occurred to me to grab].

So I grabbed certcli.dll, certmgr.dll, certmgr.msc, crypt32.dll, cryptdlg.dll, cryptdll.dll, cryptext.dll,cryptnet.dll, cryptsvc.dll, cryptui.dll, initpki.dll off of a working XP SP2 computer, made backups of the old versions on the broken machine, and copied the new files over. What I discovered as it prompted me whether or not to overwrite each file, is that certcli.dll was missing!!! Checking for this file was right in updatexp.com guide in the ERROR 126 section, on point d. But I had assumed (mistakenly I guess) that since sfc /scannow would replace corrupt versions of the files, that it would also replace missing files. I'm not sure what it was supposed to do, but I certainly did not have the certcli.dll in my system32 directory despite having run sfc numerous times.

With the file replaced everything is back to normal.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice