Cryptographic Service?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ronhum

I am in the process of reinstalling Windows XP Home on a new hard drive, etc.

I was doing a Windows update of all of the files, and most updated OK.

However, I cannot update the XP Service Pack 1 because it says that "Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer."

Gosh can anyone give me a clue as to what to do on this one? How do I check the cryptographic service, etc, so that I can install the service pack?

Go to the Administrative Tools utility in Control Panel.
Double-click Services. Right-click Cryptographic Services,
and then click Properties. Click Automatic for Startup type, and then click Start.
Now try to reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 1 again.

Stop the Cryptographic Service---->

Go to Start >Run and type:
net stop cryptsvc
OK.

Then, go to your Windows\System32 and find a folder named "catroot2". Rename it to "catroot2old".

Go back to the Run box and start the Cryptographic Service---->
net start cryptsvc
OK.

Try reinstalling again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online