1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cryptographic service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by catluver58, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catluver58

catluver58 Thread Starter

i am trying to download the patch to get rid of the sasser worm,,i keep getting a error message that tells me that it was unable to verify the integrity if the cryptographic service,,,how do i get the cryptographic running ?

2. rude

rude

Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services,scroll down to "Cryptographic Service",right click and select properties make sure it is set to Automatic and it is running.If you find you still can't get the updates to download,go back to "Cryptographic Service",stop the service and then restart it then try again.

3. catluver58

i did as you instructed ,,still got the same error message ,,whit the criptographic service started...any other suggestions ?

4. rude

rude

Can you copy and paste the error message or take a screenshot and post it here?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Stop the Cryptographic service.

Find the Catroot2 folder (usually C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2). Right-click and rename it "Catroot2old". DO NOT rename the Catroot folder, only Catroot2.

Restart the Cryptographic service. Download and install the update.

6. catluver58

Thank you. I did go in and rename the Catroot2 folder. The I was able to download and install without the error message. Thanks so much for your help.

7. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

Neat trick, Elvandil.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great. There is a fix for that in....one of the updates.

Glad you got it fixed.

9. rude

rude

The update that fixes Cryptographic Service is KB840374

10. tkycaster

tkycaster

I have a similar problem to the one discussed here. Mine is a bit different however. I have windows 2000 professional sp2. I cannot find cryptographic services in my services window. huh? I have been trying to upgrade windows to sp4 and Internet Explorer to version 6 from 5. I cannot do it. It wants the cryptographic service that apparantly does not exist on my system. Can you help with some idea of how I can get it?
    Thank you.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

12. tkycaster

tkycaster

I tried what the microsoft website suggested. My "trusted root certification authorities" tab in certificates on my internet explorer options is blank. Thus, I could not follow the steps I have pasted here.

"Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the Content tab, and then click Certificates.
    Click the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab.
    Scroll down until you locate Microsoft Root Authority certificate.
    Click Export.
    Follow the prompts to export the certificate to DER encoded Binary x.509(.CER)file"

Does this lead you to any other thoughts?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't know much about this, but there was an update to the Certificates at Windows Update. Have you been there lately?

Looks like your system needs an upgrade of some sort.

14. tkycaster

tkycaster

You are right about the update. But, with this cryptographic problem I am having I cannot update anything. If I am fortunate enough to be able to download anything, it will not install. I have spent alot of time at Microsoft's site, believe me. I will check the Certificates update. I hope I can even download it. If you know anyone with cryptographic experience please send them my way. Thank you.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/228192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice