1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crysis single player demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by alwrmc, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I downloaded the HUGE Crysis SP Demo and have been giving it a try. I started out setting everything to medium (1680 X 1050) and it was very choppy. Really unplayable at medium. I dropped everything to low (1280 X 960) and it runs much better. I have (I think) a pretty good machine and I still have to set everything to low. However even on the low settings the graphics are really quite good, very good in my opinion. I just wonder if the new NVidia GeForce 8800 GT would make enough of a difference to justify the purchase??

2. FredtheHobo

FredtheHobo

Techspot just did a performance review of the Crysis SP Demo for a number of video cards, of which the 8800GT is included.
    Code:
    http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/
    In short, the GT has stellar performance, especially for its price. As somewhat of a sidenote, I would say your video card is your limiting factor, since I would be hesitant to call it even a lower-end mid-range card.

(Mods: since I'm not affiliated with Techspot, I'm assuming this does not constitute as advertising, but if it does, please act accordingly and/or let me know).

3. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

Go for the 8800 Ultra man.... 8600GT is getting really old now and trust me when i say it's not enough for Crysis.

4. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

the truth is 8600GT is just worthless.

5. Yossarian500

Yossarian500

I think losing the onboard sound would help you out too. The game isn't too demanding with the settings on medium (I started with everything on medium, then moved a few to high).

Look at my sad configuration; it plays the Crysis demo quite well, albeit at 1024x768, and it's way lower spec than the one you're using. A new vid card is always a good thing, but I doubt that's why the game's choppy for you, though you don't specify the frame rate you're getting.

6. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

You'll need to try update your lastest drivers.

7. tony oh

tony oh

He recommended the new 8800GT not the 8600GT

8. GodforSaken

GodforSaken

oh my bad.... well in that case mind as well just get the 8800Ultra and not the 8800GT.. add a few bucks...

9. tom6049

tom6049

The difference in price between the 8800 Ultra and
    the 8800 GT is considerably more than a "few bucks".

10. FredtheHobo

FredtheHobo

IIRC the price difference is closer to a factor of three.

11. tony oh

tony oh

Anyone think this is close to the final product?

I Know the drivers both companies will release will (hopefully) improve the game but is it fully multicore enabled (the demo)?

12. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

I don't know about the demo, but the full version is multicore enabled.

13. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    My current video card drivers are 7.9
    I checked and they have 7.10 posted and I may give them a try. As for the sound card I have not had any problems with the onboard sound previously. Why would that make a difference? I have an older sound card that I could install but I do not know which model it is. Is there some way to determine that? It is about 4-5 years old. I believe it is an Audigy (first model). Also how do I determine the frame rate on the demo?

14. tony oh

tony oh

15. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I gave Fraps a D/L and install. It isn't working with Crysis. I get an error message as soon as the save load completes. I gave it a try on FarCry where it works ok I guess. At any rate in the upper left corner of the screen I get a number that continually changes. In FarCry it varied between about 26 to 48. Mostly it stayed in the 40's. I have everything in FarCry set to maximum. I think FarCry runs at a very acceptable rate on my machine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice