1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Crystal disk was caution now good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metallica5456, Nov 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    i wanted to ask why my hard drive showed caution on crystaldisk and I then clicked on the caution icon and changed the three sliding bars (I forget what they said now)
    From 0 to 1 and saved the changes and now drive shows good?

Anyone know why and how that works/happened? I am not familiar enough with these kinds of specifics to know.

Did it essentially block off the bad sectors and now that’s why it’s showing good?

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If it is showing yellow that means the HDD is going bad. You may just want to back up your documents and replace the HDD before it goes dead. The yellow caution icon may indicate some bad sectors in your HDD.

3. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hiya Texasbullet. I know that, but it no longer shows yellow now. That’s what I am curious about....

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I have been using it frequently when I notice one of my HDD starting to act strange (not responding or getting crashes). Once I get misbehavior from the HDD I immediately transfer all my documents into another good HDD before its too late and just junk the bad one when done.

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Blues harp what is an external hard drive test ? Are you meaning just like a visual inspection?

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Oh haha gotcha. Yea I’m quite familiar with Seatools . Used to be my go to years ago.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I will try to post what I did a lil later cause I do want to know how I made it go from yellow back to blue

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Is it possible that you changed the "Health Status Settings" under Function ---->>>> Advanced Feature?
    It's where you can change the threshold values for warning(s). Also the only place, that I can think of, where there's sliding "bars".

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    That might have been it...

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Guys heres the image...It fisrt had all ones I think and i backed it to 0's and then it now reads as good....? hdd capture.PNG

13. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    That's because you set it to no threshold at all. So there's basically no limit at all. HERE is a link to their help page regarding that. Unfortunately it really doesn't explain what the values mean. I could take a guess but won't. At least that way I know I'm not saying something incorrect. :unsure:

EDIT: Oops, I forgot the actual link.

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Can you explain about "threshold"? ANd feel free to speculate. I won't hold it to you, but I really would like to hear your opinion.

15. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, those values are all part of the S.M.A.R.T features of a disk. My thinking is that those values are what are allowed before a warning is issued. Like the "Reallocated Sectors Count" is a count of bad sectors that haven't been reallocated to another sectors on the disk. Or something like that. You can probably Google the different descrictions/values and get a precise explanation. Per their own help page setting those values to zero will in effect cancel the S.M.A.R.T monitoring. Again - or something like that..

metallica5456 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice