1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CS help plz

Discussion in 'Games' started by HoSs40, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HoSs40

HoSs40 Thread Starter

Everytime I try to go onto a server now for some odd stupid reason it keeps disconnecting me saying. " LAN servers are restricted to local clients (Class C)." Wth does that mean? And I know I'm not local because that server that I usually go onto is located in Georgia and I don't live anywhere near there, and I never had a problem before, so what should I do?

Plz help...

And would Networking be the problem? Because I've played with it with no problems again until now.

2. McTimson

McTimson

OK, here's what I think is happening...

You're running version 1.5 of CS. This is the one where you can just open CS and go. However, Valve decided to mess everything up by releasing a new patch, 1.6, in which you can't just connect to a server, you have to install another program, Steam, and connect through that. Chances are, the server you're trying to connect to has already upgraded to Steam 1.6, and you can't play thre because you still have 1.5. If this is indeed the case, then you will have to get the Steam client here.

Hope this helps.

3. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS

Well i had just finished downloading Steam and 1.6. I didnt like it. When i tried to play 1.5 i couldnt so i uninstalled steam. Guess steam got mad i did this that i it messed up my HL.exe. So i uninstalled HL and reinstalled it with the 1.5 patch but told me that i needed some HL. updated 1.1.1.0 or something like that. I found all that and downloaded.When i tried to put them in it kept telling me that i was putting them in the wrong directory. Now my cs wont work correctly. Any ideas?:confused:

4. McTimson

McTimson

Well, you're going to be forced to use Steam eventually, so you might as well get used to it...

OK, delete all your HL and CS files, and start over. Install Half-Life, then get the 1.1.1.0 patch for it. Then install the 1.5 version of CS, and that should do it.

Oh wait, do you have the retail version of CS, or the mod version? (The retail version has it's own CD, the mod version requires you to install Half-Life, then download the full CS mod.)

5. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS

Well i have the platinum edition. I gave my counter strike disk away thinking that was not going to use it anymore, big mistake. So i installed HL and got the patch for it but when i tried to install it, it kept telling me what i was placing it in the wrong directory. I tried different directories but gave up after 2 hours of trying to put in the patch. I also tried the cs mod version and that didnt help either.

6. Murdoc2k

Murdoc2k

problem with steam is... when u setup cs... it says "CONVERTING FILES"... during this process, STEAM takes your CS files from your 1.5 directory and converts it (modifying) it to suit 1.6 and removes 1.5 files in a sense....

So what u need to do right now is reinstall CS and patch it up again (thats what I did) and it worked :)

7. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS

So basicly what your saying is that Steam is taking revenge at me for taking it out.Hmmm. LOL. Well i guess ill have to start from scratch.

Is there anyway to conver these files back to suit 1.5? Just i case i install steam again. Knowing me i probably will.

Thanx

8. McTimson

McTimson

Install Half-Life to the default directory, and then install the patch.

Then download the 1.5 version mod file of CS (should be somewhere around 100MB) - but it may be hard to find since 1.6 is now the official version.

9. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS

Well i have it up and running now even though i had a hard time putting the HL patch in since for some reason it kept telling me that i was putting it in a wrong directory. Thanx for the help McTimson

10. McTimson

McTimson

Glad to hear you got it fixed! :)

11. Ben Evolant

Ben Evolant

ey up :) I wonder if neone can help me out? I'm Having a problem with counter-strike. I have the retail version from the 'Half-life Generation' pack, and have just installed 1.5 patch. I play HL games through the All-seeing-eye (tfc/sven) and now i've installed 1.5 patch for cs it tells me i have current map versions(So i assume it has acknowledged patch properly otherwise it would show maps in red)...BUT...... When i attempt to log onto a server it tells me... could not load library C:Sierra/Counter-Strike/cstrike/cl_dlls/client.dll. I have no idea why there might be a problem with my client.dll file, or indeed what this problem means.
    If anyone that knows what my actual problem is would be kind enough to divulge this info to me, i shall be eternaly grateful.

avid tfc'er and sven lover....... I just wanna remember what firing an m4a1 is like!
    :)

12. McTimson

McTimson

Are you sure you're connecting to 1.5 servers, and not 1.6 servers? As far as I know, the Eye still shows all servers, no matter which version they're running, so try connecting to a server that has '1.5' in the name if you can.

Oh, and install the HL 1.1.1.0 patch, then install the CS patch. And make sure you get the right CS patch, if you're using the mod version, then get the mod patch, if you're using the retail version, get the retail patch. (If CS is installed in C:\SIERRA\Half\Life\cs\, then it's the mod version, if it's C:\SIERRA\Counter-Strike\, then it's the retail version.)

13. KeithKman

KeithKman

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice