1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CSV file opening in IE, not Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gurutech, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have a co-worker who is using IE to download Excel (csv) files, but the files are automatically opening in IE. He is not being prompted to download (or "save as") these files any longer.

Where is the setting that will allow him to be prompted instead of automatically opening the file? We've been through the "File Types" option under "Folder Options", the add-ins for IE, etc... but can't find the option.

Thanks in advance!

2. jonvan

jonvan

Go to Folder Options->File Types
    Scroll down to CSV
    Click Advanced
    Make sure "Confirm open after download" is checked.

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

It was checked. We unchecked it, saved settings, then re-checked and saved settings again, but that didn't work.

After posting my question, we did find that there is a registry key that needs to be "hacked" to clear the registry entry for CSV files. After a reboot, that did the trick. I'll see if I can find the link to MS's website with the "hack" info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice