1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ctrl alt delete lockups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by electraglide, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. electraglide

electraglide Thread Starter

whenever I press ctrl alt & delete to end a task my computer locks up and I have to reboot - this also happens when I try to use any of the systems tools such as drivespace or disk cleanup. I am running windows 98se on a toshiba tecra8200.
    I have no conflicts - any ideas?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG electraglide.

Have you determined whether the problem occurs in safe mode? If it does not, then it is likely due to a "conflict" of some kind.

To start in safe mode, press and hold the ctrl key starting up until the "startup menu" appears. You can select it from there.

If it does not appear in safe mode, then "clean boot" troublehooting is the best approach to narrowing the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192926

I would run msconfig and follow the instructions for bypassing startup files for a test.

3. electraglide

I tried starting in safemode - ctrl alt and delete seemed to worked ok but then I tried start - programs - accessories - systems tools and disk cleanup and everything locked up - i could move the pointer around the screen but it made a strange noise??

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've seen a few problems with disk cleanup associated with corrupt history and or Temporary caches. So let's try this -- go to start>shutdown>restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows\> prompt enter each line:

smartdrv
    deltree history
    deltree temp
    deltree tempor~1

exit

or ctrl-alt-del to restart

For each deltree you will receive a confirmation prompt. If the target directory is correct (eg, "history") press 'y'. Smartdrv is required to speed up the process which otherwise could take a very long time.

5. electraglide

Sorry - still no luck I'm afraid:confused:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No luck meaning the Disk Cleanup tool still hangs in safe mode? Or just in normal mode? You may have multiple issues.

Try running the System File Checker. You may have to do it in safe mode. Use it to extract a new copy of cleanmgr.exe. Have it scan for altered files as well, but hold off on replacing what it finds until you let us know what they are.

If the hangs or other issues don't occur in safe mode, then we need to do some "clean booting' to identify the conflict. Otherwise we are looking for problems with system files or hardware issues.

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice