1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CTRL+ALT+DELTE Stuff that shouldn't be there

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by intervoid, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intervoid

intervoid Thread Starter

Hi,

when i hit ctrl/alt/delete, i get uhoh, lpbbhxx, calc, and packager. i can't get rid of them, adaware does nothing, norton does nothing. someone help, also some sites don't work and just go blank. any info would be helpful.

i have all critical service packs from windows update and most ME packages.

2. elaich

elaich

Download Spybot Search and Destroy. It will find things that Adaware won't. You can find it with Google.

Open the Run box on your Start menu, and type in "msconfig." Hit OK, then select the Startup tab. There you will see everything that your computer is loading on bootup. Unticking a box will delete that program from startup. (Requires a restart.)

There are really only two things that the computer needs to start - SysTray and Scan Registry. The problem is that almost every thing that you install these days wants to put itself in the startup menu. Almost none of it really needs to be there. All these programs loading and running at boot slow the computer down.

If you have a firewall and/or antivirus, of course you want to leave them loading at boot, but anything else beside what's mentioned above can be safely unticked. It might cause the program to take 2 seconds longer when you start it up. Big deal.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice