1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ctrl+End in Excel 2000 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by MenuBar, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MenuBar

MenuBar Thread Starter

This article didn't fix it for me:

ctrl-end in Excel 2002 doesn't work
    http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/207330-ctrl-end-excel-2002-doesnt.html

. . . but I figured it out and wanted to share

Somehow, invisible characters get in there, so when you do Ctrl+End, it will throw you into the bottom right somewhere, just not in the bottom right of your data.

Sometimes you can just delete a few rows and columns around where it takes you, go back to cell A1 and save (that resets it).

What puzzled me this last time, which is how I found the above article, is that that didn't work.

Here's what to do.

First, try this:

1) go to the bottom right of your data manually
    2) arrow down 25 or so rows to give you some room
    3) highlight the entire row directly underneath your data
    4) Shift+Arrow Down a few rows . . . keeping Shift held down, press Ctrl+Arrow Down - that highlights everything below, down to row 65,536 (keeping the Shift key held down, you can arrow up)
    5) right-click on the highlighted area, and select Clear Contents

Now do this for the seemingly empty columns / cells to the right of your data . . .

1) go to the column to the right of your data manually
    2) highlight the entire column
    4) Shift+Arrow Right a few columns . . . keeping Shift held down, press Ctrl+Arrow Right - that highlights everything to the right, all the way to column IV (keeping the Shift key held down, you can arrow left)

Now go to cell A1 (Ctrl+Home) and save. This resets it. Now try Ctrl+End and see if it goes to the bottom right.

Ok, now I don't think this worked for me, so the next thing to do is to Delete all those Rows and Columns after you clear the contents, so . . .

Second, try this:

1) go to the bottom right of your data manually
    2) arrow down 25 or so rows to give you some room
    3) highlight the entire row directly underneath your data
    4) Shift+Arrow Down a few rows . . . keeping Shift held down, press Ctrl+Arrow Down - that highlights everything below, down to row 65,536 (keeping the Shift key held down, you can arrow up)
    6) right-click on the highlighted area, and select Delete - it must delete everything, but then makes sure all the rows are still there

Now do this for the seemingly empty columns / cells to the right of your data . . .

1) go to the column to the right of your data manually
    2) highlight the entire column
    4) Shift+Arrow Right a few columns . . . keeping Shift held down, press Ctrl+Arrow Right - that highlights everything to the right, all the way to column IV (keeping the Shift key held down, you can arrow left)
    6) right-click on the highlighted area, and select Delete - it must delete everything, but then makes sure all the columns are still there

Now go to cell A1 (Ctrl+Home) and save. This resets it. Now try Ctrl+End and see if it goes to the bottom right.

These are the keys I use:

Navigation:

Ctrl+Home . . . Takes you to cell A1
    Ctrl+End . . . Takes you to the bottom right hand corner of the data (if it doesn't, see above)
    Ctrl+directional arrow . . . Moves cursor to the first or last cell in a filled row or column

Double-clicking on the border of the cursor moves cursor to the last filled cell in the direction corresponding to the edge on which you clicked

To Select All:
    Ctrl+End to move cursor to the bottom right hand corner of the data
    Shift+Home to highlight the bottom row
    Keeping Shift held down, press Ctrl+Home

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice