current capture capabilities of TV cards?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

defunct

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a digital TV card soon, coincidentaly a friend has asked about transfering and cleaning their wedding VHS to DVD so I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone. But I am limited to consumer priced cards.

I'm really looking for advice about which card/ features to look for since my reading hasn't concluded much, just raised questions. I don't want to go the external USB route cos it won't be used exclusively for capture.

Some of the issues I've noticed:

Hardware mpg2 encoding: not too much of an issue cos my rig will handle the encoding in software if I don't intend to multitask. And I don't envisige it being a regular need.

Driver issues: lots of older posts complain about driver issues causing crash/ sync/ drops/ volume problems etc. have these issues been ironed out?

Software: are the packages that come free with retail cards any good at 'cleaning' or am I still better off looking at manual filtering with virtualdub or something?

I suppose I'm wondering if something like the Hauppauge Nova T will suffice since I'm only looking for occasional basic capture capabilities through s-video and am willing to put the time into manual post processing...

WinTV HVR 1100?
Winfast?
Pinnacle?

Getting even more lost here by expanding my options!

defunct

Thanks, looks like that almost completely covers my questions. Dumb of me not to have found it myself since Ars is a favourite of mine, duh!

Just seen the VHS that wants capturing though, and it's a beast. Only 3 years old but soooo grainy and rolls like a flat hulled boat in a storm. Got to try all my friends VCRs to find one which is equally as misaligned on the tracking...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online