1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CURRENT_USER Folder in Registry has duplicate folders

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by beaglehound, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beaglehound

beaglehound Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I was examining my registry and opened up the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder. After clicking on the 'software' folder I scrolled down and can see 2 'microsoft' folders. Each appears to contain exactly the same sub folders as the other.

Can anyone tell me why I would have 2 folders named 'microsoft' which appear to be duplicates? Do I need both of them or can I just delete one of the folders?

Thanks for your help

Beagle

2. beaglehound

Still hoping someone can answer my questions for me.

Beagle

3. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hello, It could be that you or someone else accidently made a copy. If you open both of them up and they are EXACTLY identical (poke around in the sub-folders too!) then you should be safe to get rid of one. Make a restore point as a precaution until your positive everything still works as normal.

4. beaglehound

TheJoost:

Thanks for the reply. I took a good look at the contents in both Microsoft folders. From what I could tell, everything was identical. I backed up my Registry before deleting one of the folders. Some interesting things happened.

I have a program called Works. I could not retrieve documents by clicking 'existing documents after deleting one of the 'microsoft' folders. I could no longer activate my Norton's AntiVirus program. So, I restored my Registry and all worked just fine. Not only that but the second duplicate folder is gone so my problem seems to be solved. Good thing I backed up the registry before trying such a daring maneuvre. Hehe. Take care.

Beagle

5. TheJoost

TheJoost

Glad to hear things worked out! (y)

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Beagle
    Just happened to look at this thread and read your dilemma. Glad you did back up the key before deletion or you could of had a real mess to deal with. What happened to you I have only seen once before and this is due to not really having two different distinct major folder entries in the registry but a mirror of the original. When you deleted one you effected a delete of the mirror also. If you ever encounter a problem of this nature again you should try running Scanreg /Fix first and see if the mirror disappears.
    Note: This is invoked from the Start\run line and will require restart of system after done.
    If all is well after Scanreg /fix then follow it by a Scanreg /opt which will optimize\compact the registry.

Fixing and Compacting the registry is a maintenance function seldom done but really helps speed registry access.

Dave

PS: If you do a google search on scanreg /fix you will find much written about it. Here is just one site.

7. beaglehound

Dave:

Thank you so very much for the added information. I've noted it and printed the information out. What you've described makes a lot of sense. I've "played" around with the registry before and I'm becoming more comfortable with it. I've always backed it up before making any changes but I've never had to restore to the original until this occasion. You're right. I think I saved myself some real headaches.
    Take care,

Beaglehound

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Beagle
    Glad you are taking precautions. The registry can be quite intriguing and much can be done customizing once you have studied and explored it. Winguides Website has a wealth of knowledge there so it is also worth a look.

Lastly if you are using WinME you still have full registry recovery via the scanreg /restore command and can access this function either via windows start\run line or minimal support using WinME boot disk in case you cannot get windows running.
    Scanreg will access the last five successful registry starts and allow you to select one that predates your error.
    Different than System Restore but a nice option when you know your problem is registry related.

Take care and have fun.

Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice