1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

currently doing mcse...about active directory

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by PK-her0, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

currently studying for exam 70-290 administering server 2003 bla bla...

its interesting and im enjoying it...im currently reading about active directory command line tools like:

DSADD and DSMOVE and DSQUERRY...i think it is...

firstly...do these commands get used a lot in the industry? i wouldnt think so...

secondly...do i need to know these commands backwards for the exam?

(is there anybody who can remember that far back LOL)

thanks
    PK

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

I can answer your first question, but I've never taken the MCSE exam so I have no clue if you'll need it or not.

There are times in which you need to use commands like this in the field. Most times, it's just quicker to type the command than it is to navigate through the GUI or if you're writing a script or batch file you need to know the console commands. :)

I'm much faster with the keyboard than I am with the mouse.

3. AQ78

AQ78

16 years working with nt4 to 2008, exchange 5.5 to exchange 2010...ive used DSadd and dsget less than a handful of times. saying that the exam will ask you about it alot. Study up!

4. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

thanks for the info guys

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

oh thanks i see now..

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

It is very handy for scripts however... as well as GP and Set

Can't say for the exam... but I know its valuable for me to know them for various tasks.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Never did the exam but I use these commands ALL the time. There are so many uses for these commands that are VERY much more useful than the ADUC mmc.

The fact you can pipe multiple queries together make it very vesitile to find what you need when the find interface in ADUC is so limited.

DSQuery is the one I use most. DSAdd meh I don't use it much because we have an automated HR system to AD db system. DSMove is good for migrations.

I'ld think if you were gonna do alot of inside AD work you will want to at least keep that in your deck of cards if not play that card often.

8. Synt4xError

Synt4xError

All you need to know for the test about these commands are their functions and abilities. If that sounds right? :)

9. Jbirk

Jbirk

You can do LDAP queries through Active Directory Users and Comptuers, too.

Right-Click on Saved Queries and select New > Query. Select "Custom Search" then in the Advanced Tab you can type a custom query that is actually quite powerful. For example if you want to find all Windows XP systems that do not have the latest service pack (SP3 right now), you would make a query such as:
    (objectClass=computer)(operatingSystem=Windows XP*)(!operatingSystemServicePack=Service Pack 3)

To find these attributes, use ADSI Edit, or an LDAP editor to go poking around. The Internet will be helpful, too.

Now, you can define your query root to a specific OU or Domain in its properties, and it will search from there... The results as in the case of the above query are all computer objects that have a version of Windows XP older than SP3 :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice