1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursed!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wtabacchi, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wtabacchi

wtabacchi Thread Starter

Shipped off my last refurbished computer this weekend to the charity recipiant.

I am now working on another 133 mz pentiumS. And true to form have created a new problem with this "new used" computer. I first upgraded it to include a backup drive. The install of the slave drive went w/no problems. But then decided the ribbon cable arrangement was blocking too much air flow inside the box so I took the time to run a new arrangement of ribbon cables to improve air flow.

I must have done something now because the computer won't turn on.

Checked the power plug -it's ok because I plugged the female end into another computer and that computer started.

Checked all cables to see if one was dislodged when I was "improving" the computer -all look and feel ok.

What to check next?

Should I buy a volt meter? Radio shack? At what minimum cost?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. 1069

I have had this problem before - the solution in my case was that I had one of the cables connected the wrong way around - a further check wouldn't do any harm.

3. john1

john1

yes, that sounds about right, you may have a cable plugged in backwards.
    The ribbon cables should have one side marked, usually the first wire is
    marked with red dots, or red flashing along it, not always easy to spot.

The ribbon wire sockets are usually marked on the motherboard at one end
    with a tiny number "1", again not always easy to spot.

Also, if you've replaced the ribbon wire to the floppy drive, the 'twist'
    section should be duplicated, it is necesary.

Just occured to me, the IDE cables should go back to the same sockets.
    (you probably know that)

Best of luck with it, John :)

4. wtabacchi

wtabacchi Thread Starter

To 1069 and John1,

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you refering to the primary and secondary cables? My cables can not be inserted the wrong way around. The cables have a raised notch preventing such action.

I did get one small hint that might point toward the problem -when I turn on the power, the fan over the CPU and the fan in the power supply silently move just a fraction then quickly stop. At no time do I hear any sound.

The above happens even if the primary and secondary cables are disconnected from the mother board.

Have either of you two seen this momentary movement with your problem computers?

Thanks,
    Bill

5. wtabacchi

wtabacchi Thread Starter

To John1 and 1069,

Think I, (you two) found the problem. I unplugged everything then began plugging cables in one at a time then switching on power. When I got to the primary power supply it worked!!!

What is so puzzeling is both power cable and ribbon cable to the primary HD are idiot proffed and can be inserted only one way -the correct way. So what was the original problem -I guess I will never know.

My thanks to both of you.

Bill

6. john1

john1

yes.
    I have had that.
    For me it was a power supply problem.

Maybe the mobo connection to the power supply has gotten disturbed ?

Best of luck with it, John :)

7. john1

john1

Hi,
    Looks like my last post crossed with yours, both at 04:26
    Glad its working ok now.
    Regards, John :)

8. wtabacchi

wtabacchi Thread Starter

Yes except for My install of Winamp not playing a CD, it's alive and well. Know anything about Winamp?

Bill

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice