1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cursor continously spinning in normal mode, can only access files in smart mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by michbear, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michbear

michbear Thread Starter

Hello, my computer, a Lenovo Idea pad P580 running on Windows 7, is 5 weeks old and yesterday I was using Microsoft Word to edit a document and Word suddenly crashed. So I closed it, but then the cursor started spinning and I could not access anything on my computer so I rebooted and it started up but then just trying to open Microsoft Word caused the cursor to keep spinning again and I could not access anything. So I again rebooted and this time it was spinning from the beginning. So I again rebooted and turned it on in safe mode and everything was fine. Then turned it off and left it off overnight. In the morning I tried to boot in normal mode and it did boot but it was again spinning and I could not access anything. So I again rebooted in safe mode and I can use my computer fine. Can someone please help me get my computer up and running again in normal mode?

And also, this is unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I need to do to make the scroll bar stop moving on its own? Every time I scroll down a page it seems to lock the scroll bar and so when I move the cursor away from the scroll bar, the scroll bar still moves and I cannot click any links or anything on that webpage.

Okay thank you very much for your help!!

2. mhd1360

mhd1360

When you pressed F8 before Windows Start-up, select "Last known good configuration" and see if the problem solve, if not try a "System Restore" in Safemode.
    For your second problem, if you use Touch-Pad mouse, the right side of the touch-pad locks the scroll bar, if you want to scroll a page try to put your finger at the middle of the pad and scroll it.

3. michbear

michbear Thread Starter

none of those options work, nor does start up repair. are there any other options? could a virus have caused this?
    and for the second problem, that worked. thanks!

4. mhd1360

mhd1360

What happened when you did a system restore in Safemode ?
    Did it set back to the date you defined or it couldn't ?

5. michbear

michbear Thread Starter

No it said it couldn't. And the same with the start up repair.

6. mhd1360

mhd1360

In safemode click on start and type msconfig then hit enter.
    In general tab check "Diagnostic startup" and click OK. then restart in normal mode and tell me what happen.

7. michbear

michbear Thread Starter

I couldn't even access windows in safe or normal mode so i did a factory reset and its back to normal. Thanks for your help though!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice