1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor Disappearing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deesto2789, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deesto2789

deesto2789 Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ 2.4 ghz processor and 1.5 GB of RAM. I also have dual monitors with my desktop expanded across both screens. Usually when I am loading huge programs the mouse cursor will freeze in place. The mouse still works, but the cursor doesn't move (so i can still click on things by guessing where the cursor would be). However, the cursor will only freeze on one of the two screens. When I drag the "ghost cursor" over to the other screen, it shows up again and works fine on the opposite screen (but still doesnt work on the original screen). Also, if I'm really unlucky the cursor will disappear on one screen and then eventually on the other screen as well. I ran spyware and anti-virus scans, and spyware was clean but AVG anti-virus "identified virus Java/OpenStream". I don't know if that has anything to do with the cursor problem. Also, sometimes when loading programs I get an "EAccessViolation" and I have no idea if that has anything to do with this problem. If I did a bad job explaining the problem, I have the exact same problem as this guy: Any help would be much appreciated.

2. TekDawg

TekDawg

I have the same problem as you except I don't use dual screens, it happens often when I load MS Antivirus, has happened other times when loading a new app while another is busy.
    Ligitech LX7 USB mouse, have used it on USB and with the PS/2 adapter, the cursor becomes detached using either one.

3. Deathblow

Deathblow

I've been having the same problem the last few days, I can't really pin it down to a certain thing I'm running/doing at the time. I am using only one screen, and have a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB. I've tried switching ports, and it still does the same thing. The really odd part is like you guys said, the mouse is apparently still working fine, but the cursor no longer follows it.

4. TekDawg

TekDawg

I removed the Logitech LX7 mouse which quit working for some reason and reinstalled my MS Optical Intellimouse, plus I have stopped the MS Antivirus from running in the background, I only load it when I do a scan and I haven't had the problem at all since then.
    I don't know which one was the culprit but all is well.

5. Deathblow

Deathblow

Well, I don't have either of those, so it must be something else.

6. TekDawg

TekDawg

Don't know if a video card would have anything to do with it but I do have a GeForce4(AGP) graphics card which I installed not to long before I had that problem, just a guess.

7. Deathblow

Deathblow

Well, I'm thinking it may have something to do with drivers, since I did just upgrade mine about the time or shortly before the problem occurred. I have rolled back to the previous drivers and will see if that clears it up, but since it was a random occurence and sometimes wouldn't happen for hours or days, It may be some time before I can be sure.

8. deesto2789

deesto2789 Thread Starter

I figured out how to solve my problem, and my guess is it will probably work for you guys. Right click the desktop and click on properties, or get to display properties from the control panel. Click on the settings tab, then click the advanced button. Click on the troubleshooting tab, and slide the hardware acceleration slider bar one notch left - you'll notice that the text that appears below mentions "use this setting to correct problems with the mouse pointer". click OK and that annoying problem will be gone forever.

9. Deathblow

Deathblow

It's been a few weeks since I rolled back to the previous drivers, and sure enough it hasn't happened since, so my problem was linked to those drivers. 81.98 Forceware if anyone wanted specifics were the ones causing the problem. Not that Deesto's solution isn't valid though, wish I could have tried that before I rolled back.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice