1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor erratic

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by montreal01, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. montreal01

montreal01 Thread Starter

- portable dell mini inspiron -xp
    cant have control- ca n t write
    please help is it touchpad or m ouse , materiel or software?

2. Cougar10

Cougar10

I had a similar problem on my Insipron 1520.

The touchpad becomes erratic and will start clicking by itself. Reinstalling the drivers did not help. You can try this (Device Manager > Mice > Right click and uninstall ... then reboot) and see if it helps. However like I said, it didn't for me.

I confirmed this to be a hardware issue because the same problem would happen when I boot Ubuntu. A temporary fix would be to hibernate the computer for 10 minutes then resume.

Solution: Replace the touchpad. I was able to find one for mine for $20. The documentation on Dell's website explains how to remove and reassemble.

Try searching for your model. Seems to me their Symantic touchpads go bad after about 2 or 3 years, depending on how much use.

Regards

3. montreal01

montreal01 Thread Starter

thank f or y our help - as you see it jumps a nd even erase what i write i will try tochange it

4. Cougar10

Cougar10

Just to follow-up because this has been an ongoing problem for me,

The problem had returned no more than a week after installing the new touchpad. Out of ideas and options, I sailed the high seas of google for a fix. Sure enough, the problem wasn't with the computer hardware... my AC Adapter turned out to be the culprit. Have you noticed this erractic mouse problem only occurs when you are plugged in and the battery is less than 95%?

If it is, you're problem lies with the charger not feeding enough power to the PC. After some thought, I realized this problem started shortly after replacing my hard drive in my Inspiron 1520. I went from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm.. Subsequently, while my battery was charging my motherboard wasn't receiving enough power, causing the mouse to be erratic and click by itself.

Waiting on my replacement adapter. I'm 100% positive that will fix my problem. Hope it does the same for you.

Best Regards and Good Luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice