1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cursor jumps when typing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by infantrymedic, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. infantrymedic

infantrymedic Thread Starter

I can be typing perfectly and suddenly I cannot type and my cursor backs up and erases some of what I have typed. It keeps doing this for a while and so I quit my typing. Can someone help me! :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you using a laptop? If so, you may be accidentally touching and rubbing the touchpad while typing.

3. infantrymedic

I am not using a laptop. I have a desktop running Windows XP Internet Explorer 7. :)

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not tell what kind of computer you are using. The computer information in your profile shows "Compac FS7600" The closest information I could find on-line was for a Compaq FS7600, which is a 17 inch CRT monitor

Does the problem only show up in a certain application or in different applications?

5. infantrymedic

The only time I have this problem is when I am typing emails. I use Mediacom to send my emails. This is my cable company provider and they have there own feature to use to send emails.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Am I safe to assume that you do not see the problem when you are typing in your replies here at TSG?

If so, you would just about need help from another Mediacom user to figure out what is going on. Maybe you are accidentally hitting some key combination to trigger the jump and deletion. This would probably be specific to the scripting used on that particular page.

7. infantrymedic

I have called Mediacom regarding this problem and their technicians have not given me an answer. Also I have searched the Web and other people are having the same problem. It must be a difficult problem because I have not been able to find a solution.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "feature"? Do you mean you are using their web mail interface? Which they apparently have changed since the last time I used it (I have Mediacom, but I use Thunderbird for my email client).

9. infantrymedic

Yes , I am using the Mediacom Inbox, Sent, Trash, Junk for my emails. I think it is called Zimbra- Standard and Advanced settings. Did you decide not to use the Mediacom email webpage?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I prefer to use an email client, so I only use Mediacom's webmail when not on one of my main computers or occasionally to see what they've collected in the Junk folder. For me it's not a decision to not use webmail, but rather a decision in favor of using a client.

My guess--and this is purely a guess--is that you may be accidentally hitting some key combination that causes the cursor to change position. For example, intending to type Shift + z but type Ctrl + z or Alt + z. I don't know what the combination might be; and it may be peculiar to Internet Explorer or to IE7.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Another thing that has given me strange results from time to time--using the numeric keypad to enter numbers. If the Num Lock key gets turned off for some reason the cursor will move around "like crazy."

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!