1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cursor Left Clicks Randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doodle75, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doodle75

Doodle75 Thread Starter

I'm not sure why, but recently, my cursor seems to left click randomly. This isn't that huge of a problem, but it is some what of an annoyance when it comes to writing and playing games. If my cursor is somewhere else in the screen, it will automatically click there, and because of this I may begin typing there, or I may begin to bring up a bunch of random windows due to the fact that the remaining letters of the message are being typed without a blinking cursor, thus they turn into hot key commands. I've also lost large amounts of writing because the cursor would click outside the box I would be writing in, and then things may occur, like I accidently highlight it all, hit the next letter, and good bye to my message. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know someone else with this issue as well, we both use laptops. I've tried replacing the mouse, but it still occurs. My Laptop (A Dell XPS) has the center ball, the touch pad, and a left/right click pad both above and below the touch pad. I'm not sure if this is related to hardware or if it is viral, but I'm praying it's not hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm running out of options.
    Also note that when I unplug the mouse and only use the the ball/touch pad, it continues to occur, which leads me to believe that it is not the external mouse.

2. Doodle75

Doodle75 Thread Starter

I have elimated the possibility of this being a virus, but I'm not sure what else could be causing the problem. All I know is that it is becoming very very frustrating :mad:

3. winbob

winbob

Doodle,

I have the same "problem" with my HP laptop, and I believe that it comes from either accidently touching the Touchpad while typing, or from the TouchPad reacting (erroneously) to the PROXIMITY of my hand to it.

I experience this problem a lot while typing on this Forum. I have narrowed down to this by just trying to be more aware of where my hands are moving over the KB. I experience the Cursor 'jumping' elsewhere in the Text Box and wind up 'inserting' in the wrong places.

I avoid this now by moving the Cursor out of the Text Box while typing. But what happens instead is that the Text entry will stop if there is an accidental click rather than messing up the existing text.

I believe that my Thumbs are the culprits! :rolleyes:

4. cjmathe

cjmathe

I'm having the same problem...and it can't be the touchpad issue. I've got a Toshiba laptop, using and external keyboard and mouse. I'll be typing and the next thing I know text is highlighted or I'm jumping to other windows... as Doodle says it seems like the mouse has a mind of it's own... and I've switched mice to make sure it wasn't just a bad mouse....

5. guntok

guntok

I have seen a lot of laptops with problems like this. Mainly Dell and Winbook laptops. They have a Tap and Drag feature built-in to touchpad. That's the main culprit i have seen. If you open up the mouse control panel on your laptop you might be able to find and option to disable the tap and Drag feature or possibly to decrease the tap sensitivity so it takes a harder tap to enable to the select and drag feature. I would say disable it.

The Dell Inspiron 8000 series has the pointer stick and touchpad options and in the newer version of the software drivers for those you can even disable the touchpad completly and just use the pointing stick.

So I would say check the mouse control panel and disable any tap and drag features.

Guntok

6. guntok

guntok

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice